- advertisement -

Today show video

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama2H, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

2. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Thanks for posting this.
    Personally I was a bit annoyed with this today because even though they did talk about the differences between type 1 and type 2 Then they focused on type 2. They kept on saying it could be prevented if caught early--they never said you can't prevent type 1. They generalized everything into type 2 without specifying that it was just type 2.
    I thought yesterday's TODAY show was much better.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

The one segment where there are only 3 endocrinologists :eek: in Mississippi I think it was - I thought they did a great job in stating type 2 diabetes multiple times.

I do wish today they would have mentioned type 1 is an auto-immune disease - or maybe they did - I haven't been able to watch all 3 hours of it yet. Why can't type 1 just be it's own name and not diabetes? *sigh*

I guess it would difficult to keep everybody happy in every detail of how they make this presentation on diabetes - and "Change Diabetes" the theme --- don't I wish we could - Eradicate Type 1 and Type 2!!

I'm happy with the awareness they've created with this series. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

When the 6 year old boy was on the mom made it a STRONG point that her son's Type 1 diabetes is autoimmune :D

Out of all of the reports I have seen on TV this is the best one so far. Sure they could have done more but compared to past stories this one gets 4 stars from me :eek:

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think they did overall a good job, however I also would have liked more if they really stressed that type 1 is different than type 2. And (not dissing type 2 here) that type 1 is NOT preventable. They spent a lot of time talking about preventing it. I kept thinking Ann Curry really doesn't "get it".

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Was this on today? I had a friend email me today and say that she saw them say the biggest cause of "Diabetes" is obesity in children. She immediately commented how she didn't think my SD was overweight. I had to tell her that they were talking about Type 2, not Type 1.

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

8. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

9. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

well they mentioned how that diabetes 2 is on the rise, due to overweight. and they did say that eating too much sugar does not cause it. and that no all people who are diabetic are overweight.

10. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thanks Shirley. I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure there is always going to be some out there with selective hearing and all they hear is "Diabetes" in general.

11. CButler

CButler Approved members

These were my thoughts too, when I heard and saw the theme. Besides that, it was better than the usual. Maybe things are starting to head in the right direction a little in awareness and accuracy. (MAYBE!)

12. manwkids

manwkids Approved members

13. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I only caught a few minutes of it. I couldn't stand to watch anymore. I heard the endo say you could prevent diabetes by eating right and excercising and I just couldn't watch it anymore. I'm glad that, from what you guys say, it seemd to take a turn for the better.