advertisement

Today I cried after ordering pump supplies for my daughter...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by snugbug717, Jun 2, 2015.

1. snugbug717

snugbug717 New Member

Hi All,
    I know it sounds silly by today I cried after getting off the phone with Animas. My daughter is 5 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 when she was 15 months old, and has been on a pump since Nov 2011 so this was in no way my first call to reorder supplies. However I just had a simple question about stronger dressings and they directed me to 3 different people who didn't have answers for me. Everyone was extremely nice but for whatever reason this really overwhelmed me and I had one of those weak moments where I cried because I was frustrated that my daughter has to deal with this crap at all. I know I'm supposed to stay positive and I NEVER let my daughter see me cry about her Type 1 but sometimes the stupidest things just set me over the edge. Have any other parents out there had these moments?

Ashley

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I hear you loud and clear, Ashley! :frown: Although we're only a little over a year into this unwelcome and endless journey, and my daughter was not such a little one when she was diagnosed, I definitely have those moments. Once the (usually beyond nice) Dexcom folks gave me grief over replacing a receiver that went ferklempt. I made the call from work; I had written down all the numbers (serial, etc.) that were on the receiver because I knew they'd ask for that information, but I left the receiver itself at home. The rep with whom I spoke wanted me to plug the receiver into the charger and then tell her what happened. Well, of course I had tried this at home and I could describe in detail what appeared on the screen: NOTHING. But, like an idiot, I said "when I did this last night, nothing came up on the screen even after I let it recharge for several hours." The rep said, "I need you to try it one more time and let me know if anything different happens." Then, like a moron, I said, "I can't, because I left the receiver at home." She said she couldn't help me until I did it during my call. The thought of going through one more flipping day without my daughter's Dexcom made me come unglued. So I said, "I'll just call my husband so he can bring it right in to my office." Then I waited about 40 minutes, called Dexcom back and, [I hate to say this] blatantly lied and told the rep that I was plugging in the receiver as we spoke and what I "saw" on the screen. This did the trick, and the rep said they'd get a replacement receiver in the mail and send it FedEx. After I thanked her and hung up, I just sat there and cried, because all I could think was "isn't everything my daughter and I go through playing this T1D game enough that I don't have to lie in order to get her faulty technology replaced?!?!?" Sheesh!

ETA: I don't always "stay positive" about my daughter's T1D in front of her because I don't want to invalidate her feelings when she has one of her "moments." I don't completely flip out or bash my head against the wall or whip out the razor blades or anything drastic like that, but she's seen me cry about her diabetes. I'm always certain to reinforce that it's not her fault and that I'll always be there (at least until I die) to help her. The few times I've cried in front of her have never backfired; she seems to appreciate the fact that I understand (although not as well as she does) how much this disease hurts (and I'm not talking just about needle sticks). I think a lot of how we as parents handle all this depends on the age of the child, however.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It doesn't sound silly to me. I have been there. I bet more of us have than we'd like to admit.

I sometimes cry about the stupidest stuff...a couple weeks ago my son got kicked off the bus for the rest of the school year (4 weeks), and I couldn't keep it together on the phone. He did something he should've known better not to do. It wasn't just the back and forth every day, it was also the disappointment in hearing what it was that he did. I bet the principal thinks I'm a dork. Oh well. Still, diabetes is WAY less lame a thing to cry about.

I don't think you have to stay positive ALL the time...sometimes emotions spill over and you can't stop it. It's ok for kids to see parents' real emotions from time to time. Just don't cry in front of them every day for the rest of your life or they might blame themselves for all the pain it caused you. I'm probably not as good at hiding my feelings as I'd like to be. It can be a fine line to walk.

(((Hugs to Ashley)))