- advertisement -

To Parents of children who had cataract surgery

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pianoplayer4, Nov 10, 2014.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Hello, I've been away for a while (dealing with college and life=)) but I wanted to come post about this. I know there are a few parents on here who's children have had cataract surgery (which is very odd for young people, even with diabetes) and I just thought I would share that I seem to have found a bit of an explanation for mine.

This past May I was dx with Ehler's Dan-los Syndrome, or EDS; it is a connective tissue disorder involving collagen and usually specifically the collagen in your tendons. It is a genetic defect that you are born with, but the main symptoms usually begin to appear in your teens and twenties (often it starts with what are dismissed as "really bad growing pains". It also is thought to put a person at a much higher risk for cataracts in young adulthood. It is pretty rare, but it's worth looking into if this sounds like your child at all, I spent the first 20 years of my life being told I was a cry baby and I needed to suck it up, not knowing why I was such a klutz, or why things seemed so much easier for other people. Now I know, there isn't a cure... but once you know you can learn ways to cut down on joint pain and build strength to help.

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there because it's so rare (or at least thought to be, research suggests that it's actually more common but it goes undiagnosed) so your dr might not think to test for it (the test takes about five minutes, is relatively painless, and requires no equipment.)

Here is a website with more information
    http://www.ednf.org/what-eds