- advertisement -

To get a pump or not to get a pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Goober2001, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Goober2001

Goober2001 Approved members

Hi all I am new here and looking for advice on what to do. My son was diagnosed April 19 of this year he is 12 - wow what a surprise this was as it probably is for everyone, I chalked everything g up to a growth spurt oops. Anyways we have a great dr. who is very helpful and supportive however he is very old school and does not believe in giving a child a pump until they are at least 14. Now I have the option to switch to a different dr who will give the pump but I'm kinda caught here abit because I'm very overwhelmed with the information that I gave been reading about getting a pump, the fact that there are different pumps out there and also is the dr he is currently seeing correct should my son be waiting until he is over 14 or longer? My son is very active with sports, friends and well heck he's a boy, he is still going through the honeymoon stage so his BSL is still up and down and at wacko rates like one stays it's over 18 and then between 5-11 the next and then the next day under 4 the whole day. These are getting to be very worrisome for me and that is why I am really focusing on the pump for my son but again I'm new to all and have been trusting my sons current dr for everything - but now thinking maybe it's time to move on. Suggestions, information, or just plain HELP!!

Candace
    Goober - 12 diagnosed 4/19/2013.

2. Wren

Wren Approved members

Get a new doctor. The new doctor isn't going to force a pump on you if you don't want one, but at least you'll get the information to make an informed choice.

3. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Hi Candace - sorry you had to join us :)

My son is 5, he was diagnosed in February at age 4 and started the pump in July, I know others who are diagnosed even younger and have the pump even younger. Your doctor must be really old school to think no one under 14 should have a pump.

The pump has been extremely helpful to us in the honeymoon stage with the lower doses of insulin you can do on a pump, not being possible on MDI. I know you said your son loves to play sports, and I don't think pumping would slow that down at all. Kids pumping do everything a kid without a pump can do - it won't slow him down at all. Since we have been on the pump I think the only major thing we took it off for was going on a roller coaster and some even leave it on for that.

If you are even curious about a pump I would suggest talking to another doctor who is pro-pump to be able to get another opinion. I know pumps work great for some people, and others don't prefer them but I definitely wouldn't use the age limitation as a reason for not getting one. Good luck!

4. Don

Don Approved members

I would get the pump. There is lots to learn but it all goes toward better control and fewer lows and highs.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our daughter loved the switch to the pump after 3 months of shots. She loves being able to eat whenever she wants and to dose discretely. Waiting until 14 makes little sense to me. There are many families here whose infants have gone on the pump. Because you can vary the basal rates, it is really wonderful to be able to fit the insulin needs to your particular needs. We found that Lantus just couldn't handle the highs she was having upon waking in the morning. It's so important to have a supportive endo when doing the switch. The first week it's so nice to be able to call in daily. After that, we sent in logs weekly for a number of weeks. Eventually, you will be driving all the adjustments and tweaking the basals---you will be experts at it! :)

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

The two big reasons to pump are control and lifestyle. It sounds like you are not happy with the control you have (though I am not sure life post-honeymoon is any better). Puberty is tough they say. How are his A1cs?

What about lifestyle? Is he happy? Does he feel like he can't eat what he wants when he wants? Is he okay with injections? What about if he is out with friends?

These are the big things to consider IMO. Your doc should at least give you the option.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The endo should be there to help make life with D as easy for you guys as possible. It should not be his decision at what age your child pumps. Your child is the one that wears it or gets repeated daily injections. Their vote counts the very most, and they should have the choice and the ability to change that choice when they feel they need a change. I'd find a different doctor asap. If you have a teen with diabetes with a controlling doctor, there may be consequences in accepting or rejecting D with all of its hassles.

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'm not going to say whether you should pump or not, only that there is no reason you should have to wait until he's 14... Thats stupid. The sooner he gets on a pump (if he does) the quicker it will start to feel like his new normal.

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

14, seriously?! Newborn babies with neonatal diabetes have been put on pumps for at least a decade now! Run fast from this endo, he is old old old school! Sheesh

10. glko

glko Approved members

My son was dxd 3 months ago and started on his Ping on November 18. I agree with others who posted that your endo should be there to support you and your son and setting an arbitrary age at which a pump is appropriate is not taking your situation into consideration. Perhaps 14 would be a reasonable age when the child could be primarily responsible for the pump management (don't know, not there yet). One of the things I love about the pump so far for my son is that with the remote I can bolus him at meals without him having to think about it sometimes. At 9 years I like that I can take some of the work/burden from him and let him just be a kid. He will have plenty of time to do all of the work himself.
    Also, my son is very active in sports and in a very strong honeymoon. His current basal is 0.05units/hr! But actually that has made our pump transition very easy, we can titrate his boluses a lot easier without being limited to half unit increments of Novolog and I can do a correction before he hits 200+ since I don't have to use bigger doses.

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I would get a new dr, I've never heard of not being allowed to have a pump until you're 14.

Personally, I hated my dr (she did as we asked she was just very frustrating and not very helpful) I stuck it out for four years, now I'm moving on to an adult endo and I'm not going to settle for someone who's just mediocre. it is important that you have a dr you feel can help you, someone who's on the same page as you. Otherwise you have to see someone who is no help at all every three months and waste time trying to explain yourself to them.

12. HockeyMom13

HockeyMom13 New Member

Hi Candace,

My son is the same age as yours and has been on the pump for over a year. I won't tell you to get one as it's a personal choice & there are many things that can affect your decision, but I am happy to share with you a couple of the benefits that I appreciate. :)

What Billy loves the most is the ability to bolus discreetly (he's at an age where he is not open about it with everyone). He also likes how quickly he can bolus and just move on with what he wants to do. What I really appreciate is the flexibility with the basal (background insulin) rates. I can set it up to administer at different rates throughout the day (Billy was frequently going high in the middle of the night) or depending what was going on. This has been extremely important with Billy's level of activity with sports. When he was on injections he would frequently go low during exercise and hockey. Now I can drop the background insulin while he is playing a game/exercising and that has drastically reduced the number of hypo episodes during these activities.

Ultimately, the decision belongs to you and your son. Make a list of pros and cons & maybe that will help you decide. :) If you do decide you want to try it and your current doctor isn't supportive, find a doctor who is. Hang in there!

13. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I would flat out ask the very helpful and supportive Dr. why he feels that way, that you are very interested in the increased flexibility of pumping and ask his advice. Ask under what circumstances he is willing to be flexible. Helpful and supportive is a good thing, right?

That said the single most important person in the equation isn't the Dr or parent. It is the CWD.

How does he feel about a pump? He will wear it and be responsible for the care and feeding of the pump. They can be more work than a puppy.
    Has he interacted with other CWD who pump?

Wishing you the best.

14. Goober2001

Goober2001 Approved members

Thank you everyone for your comments they are very helpful. I have chosen to get a referral to a new doctor that is abit more up to date with pumps. We have an information session booked for the middle of January - hopefully this will answer any questions or concerns my son or myself have. Both my own and I are very excited to give the pump a try - I don't think this is going to be a cure to all problems but I am hoping it will help regulate my sons BSL and give him some freedom back to be a kid again.