- advertisement -

To 504 or Not?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lindy, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

We have had thru the years so many questions regarding the 504. Whether you need one or not... Some children have great teachers, principals, etc - why get one?

We fought with our school to get a 504 in place - got one before he entered Kind. Had a great health assistant who gave care for the past 1.5yrs. She was AMAZING!! Due to horrible leadership, she quit. Poof - gone. Now we are battling for proper care of our child in school - and each and every agency we have communicated with has asked if we have a 504! If we didn't, we'd be SOL! We are currently in mediation with the Dept. of ED Office of Civil Rights....

So bottom line - if you live in the US, your children attend public schools you need to have a 504 Plan in place - even if you have a great nurse, great principal etc. cause, things can and do change. The 504 is our children's safety net!

Just my 2 cents!:cwds:

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I appreciate you sharing that. We have a 504 because I was worried about her high BG's with the state standardized testing, but I wouldn't have asked because her school is so great. But, like you, anyone can leave the school. I will keep that in mind over the years. Good luck, keep fighting, your child's health is so worth it! Still, you shouldn't have to . . .

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Great post, Nicky.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I totally agree.. if you don't have a 504, get one. It protects your child and their rights. Honestly, we do not need one at the school the girls are in.. but she has one, she will continue to have one until 1, she is out of school or 2, there is a cure.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Good timiming for me, as my dd will enter school this coming school year and I need to get over to the school to figure things out and ask about the 504 process they have. I do intend on having one for 1st grade but kindergarden with me beeing so near I will push to have one in place during kinder.

6. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We're at a fantastic school district -- full-time nurse, sub nurse, all are great at D care. We still get a yearly 504 and yearly review, and it just keeps everyone's expectations on the same page.

If you're lucky enough to be at a great school, then the 504 process is also something that's very smooth and doesn't take much time, so why not?

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Exactly! Things change, people change. Don't wait until there is a problem to get a 504, have it in place so that if there is a problem, you can refer back to the 504.

Most school systems are ok with setting up and following a 504. It's all in how you approach it.

Our nurses are great, our teachers are great, our staff is great. But, we still insist on a 504 and a review every year. Only once since k have we had to refer back to it and remind admin of it.

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

Thank you for encouraging me.

I know it's the right thing to do but people around me seem to think it makes dd a "disabled" child and may affect how kids and teachers treat her.