- advertisement -

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Mar 25, 2015.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son just got his yearly blood work back and I'm trying to understand the test results for celiac. On last year's blood work, his level was 1.0, and the paperwork indicated that less than 4 was negative. This year his result was 5.7, and the paperwork indicated that less than 20 was negative. I'm confused; how could the standards for TTG change so much in just one year? And should I be concerned that he went from 1.0 to 5.7 in one year? Everything I read says less than 4 is negative, not 20.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter just had a tTG IGA performed, and her results were also 1.0 with an indication that less than 4 is negative, so I'm also confused as to the "less than 20 is negative" range you were given... Different labs often have "normal" ranges that differ slightly for the same test, but a difference of less than 4 to less than 20 is something I've never seen. Are you sure that both tests were specifically for tTG IGA and were both measured in the same units (U/mL)?

Just for reference, here's what I found on line:
    Reference Values (for tTG IGA)
    <4.0 U/mL (negative)
    4.0-10.0 U/mL (weak positive)
    >10.0 U/mL (positive)
    Reference values apply to all ages.

3. dshull

dshull Approved members

I emailed the nurse practitioner and this was her response:

"Different machine completed the testing this time and the normal value is anything less than 20. No worries, his result is fine! Last year the results were normal for anything less than 5."

Last year the reference range was for less than 4, and this year the results said:

Reference Range (Units)
    <20 Negative
    20-30 Weak Positive
    >30 Moderate to Strong Positive

I am not in the medical profession but I guess I'll take this on face value and move on the worrying about something else :) Nurse who emailed me is awesome and also has had type 1 since she was a toddler, so I know she would not mess around with anything she thought was off.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Just fwiw, when my dd received her positive result for celiac, we were given the same reference range that you received for the most recent test -- anything under 20 being negative. I agree with your nurse about going with the test-specific range on the results for each test performed.

5. njswede

njswede Approved members

You've probably already done this, but did you check the unit of measurement? My suspicion is that it could have been measured in mmol last year and mg this year. Worth checking! [EDIT: Looks like someone already suggested this. Sorry!]

6. dshull

dshull Approved members

Thanks so much for your response. I felt like I was pretty good at interpreting test results and this one threw me!