- advertisement -

Time Zone Changes Affect Timing of Insulin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by austin_calebs_mom, Mar 23, 2010.

1. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

I need some help!

On Thursday, we are all leaving to go to WI for 11 days to visit my family. WI is one hour slower than MI (when it's 7pm here, it's 6pm in WI). Caleb normally gets his Lantus at 7:15pm here, which ends up being about 2 hours after we eat dinner, which is the main reason we do it. Plus, he goes to bed at 7:30pm.

Would giving his the Lantus an hour later than normal for a week and a half be okay while we're in WI? And then go back to normal once we come back home? At my mom's, they always eat at 5pm (6pm here), so if we give him his Lantus at our normal time, it would only be an hour after dinner.

Which way should I do it? Keep the timing the same as here and give it to him at 6:15pm, which would be an hour after dinner? Or wait the 2 hours after dinner and give it to him at 7:15pm, which would be an hour later than normal?

2. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

That is certainly a question for your endo. But, we went to California and had an 1 hour difference. We were told to give Lantus at the same time, so we had to give it at 7:30 PM PST, when we give at home at 8:30 PM MST.

3. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

When we visit my dad, the time zone is off by an hour. I just follow the time zone there and keep the regular schedule.

I think travel in general even without changing time zones can cause some wonky numbers. Sitting in cars or planes, new foods and experiences, so any random number can be explained by a number of things.

Just try to enjoy and go with the flow.

4. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

We've made the trip many times, but have only stayed a couple days, so I would give him his Lantus an hour later than usual. But with us going to be there for almost 2 weeks this time, I wasn't sure if it would be okay or not. I've noticed that he tends to run high during the end of the trip, so I'm thinking about adjusting his ratio the day we leave. We plan on leaving right after the kids eat lunch at school, so hopefully that will make for an uneventful ride. It usually takes us about 6 1/2-7 hours to get to my mom's.

Would giving the Lantus only an hour after dinner be okay?

Good idea Wendy..I will definately give the endo a call today.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Lantus is a basal insulin so it doesn't matter when you give it in relation to eating dinner. Have fun!:)

6. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

When my DS was dx, we were told to take lantus at the same time, plus or minus an hour. For example, he normally takes his lantus around 9:30 so any time between 8:30 and 10:30 would be okay. He does try to keep it at a consistant time but sometimes, life gets in the way. Please check with your endo to make sure, but I don't think the hour change will be a problem.