- advertisement -

Time to choose a pump! Tslim vs Omni pod?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MCO222, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MCO222

MCO222 Approved members

We are going to be getting my 5 year old daughter a pump but are having a difficult time deciding beyween the tslim or Omni pod. We like that the Omni pod has no tubing but are a little worried about the fact that if the remote is lost we can't give insulin. With the tslim it would always be attached to her and I also like that you can reuse the reservoir so it seems there would be less insulin waste than with Omni pod. I worry how a very active 5 year old will do with the tubing though, is that something that can be ripped out while she's playing? What do you all prefer? Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at eight. Started pumping at nine. We went with the Animas ping for the same reasons you're looking at the T-slim. When she was 12, we opted to change to then Omni Pod because of the tubeless option and haven't looked back. She's active in sports and it's made a huge difference!

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We have never tried the Omni pod because the reservoir isn't big enough (you probably won't have this problem) and because ds didn't like the idea of the bulky pod stuck to him. Although he wears a Dexcom now and has no problem with it. I didn't like the idea of losing all the insulin inside if the pod went bad or fell off. At the time we were choosing pumps a lot of people here were talking about pod failures a lot so that turned me away from that. There were a few other reasons too, but I won't go into that. That said, there are many people who love the pod so don't let me discourage you if that's the one you are leaning toward.

We have a tslim now and have been happy with it. It has great setup options and it's smaller than the Medtronic we had. The tubing is something kids get used to before long. Sites can get ripped out but that can happen with any pump. It rarely happens. Or, but he's also 15 and not super active. There aren't pouches and belts you can get to help hold the pump and deal with tubing.

Call omnipod and ask for a demo pod. That will give you a good idea what they are like and if your child will like the pod.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I have one child on each. My daughter is up for a new pump this summer and is sticking with T:Slim - she'll switch to the X2 when her warranty expires. In four years, her and I have never regretted her choice. My son is right at the 4 year mark on pods and has no intention of changing. It holds enough insulin for him and he likes the invisibility of his pods when he wears them near his waist band. If you have questions specific to each, let me know.

The best way to decide is to get your hands on them. Test the buttons, the menus, the process...see what makes sense to you and feels comfortable for you to use. They all the same basic functions and some different extras and you might realize that you place more value on thing over another :)

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Couldn't agree more. We've had 4 pumps and it always comes down to the interface and comfort. "Tubing" has it's pros and it's cons. That's what we've always gone with but it's a really personal decision. Don't let anyone (even the endo) talk you into a pump. Four years is too long to be irritated every day. :)

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree mostly with the other posters here. Try out the pumps first. As for some of your concerns, if you lose the PDM to the OmniPod you would just give insulin via a syringe until you ordered a new one. If you are concerned about wasting insulin with the OmniPod, if a pod fails or comes off prematurely, you can always draw out the insulin remaining in the pod and use it in the new pod.

Danielle tried both the T:slim and the OmniPod and really did not like the tubed pump so she went with the Omnipod and it has worked out very well for her lifestyle. She is very active in dance and tennis. Plus she can shower and take baths with a pod on her. The design of the pod is not too bulky either.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter prefers her t-slim, but she wears the Omnipod during the summer months. We got it through the Cut-The-Cord program that sells the PDM to tubed pump users for $200 OOP. She really likes having both. When she gets irritated with whichever pump or diabetes, she switches off without the hassles of using Lantus/MDI. I'm glad for the back-up pump as we've had failures with Medtronic, Omnipod, and T-slim.

One disadvantage to the T-slim is that you cannot use Apidra in it as it occludes very quickly. The highs are just not worth it, but my daughter felt so terrible on Apidra that she'd tell you not being able to use Apidra is a plus.

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

What one person likes about a pump may be not be the same for everyone. That being said, my athletic daughter has used the OmniPod pump for three years quite successfully. But you have to choose what pump is best for your child. Good luck with your choice and let us know how it goes.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Did you actually get issues with Apidra? Even if you switched out the set after 2 and 1/2 days? The reason I ask is I am looking at the t-slim but I will not give up my Apidra so I did as much research as I could and found conflicting discussions on this issue. I know I have issues with any of the insulins after 2 and 1/2 days in my Medtronic pump. Thank you.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When my daughter switched onto Apidra, we immediately switched to the Omnipod because of how much I'd read about occlusions. She was really missing the t-slim, and it was suggested we go ahead and try using Apidra in it. The first site lasted....1 hour short of 48. We were thrilled. From there, it went downhill quick. Our trial lasted only a week, and by the end, she got only 6 hours out of a site before it occluded. The occlusion highs were worse than any we'd seen with other pumps and other insulins; they happened fast, shot her to mid 300s despite the cgm and were extremely resistant to coming down.

The side effects of Apidra were horrible for her. She had over half the list of symptoms, the worst being a throbbing headache non-stop for 8 weeks. We were seeing her personality change from sheer misery, so at our next endo appointment, we decided to switch her back to Novolog. We've had maybe 1 occlusion since? So for her, giving up Apidra and using the t-slim is the better combo, but it's very much a YDMV thing. I, however, would steer away from the T-slim if you want to stick with Apidra.

Is your warranty up? If you could wait, I understand BigFoot is working to have devices that hold the cartridges for all three insulins into their Snap body. (It seems insane that the cartridges can't be uniform.) It might be a good option because of the insulin remaining in the glass cartridge rather than a reservoir? Unless it's the heat of the t-slim battery causing the Apidra to clump?

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Ugh, I love my Apidra. The reasons I resist using the Med pump with the Dex system is I dislike carrying additional equipment and at this point I want the Ap systems.