- advertisement -

Time for new pump...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by michelleb, Apr 6, 2011.

1. michelleb

michelleb Approved members

Well my warrenty on my minimed pump is up in May so I am working on getting my next one. I've been pumping for 12 years now so I've used 3 minimed pumps. I am considering switching to Animas and was wondering if anybody else who had used both pumps could maybe share their different experiences.

I have loved all of my pumps and haven't had any complaints about the company but am just wondering if the Animas would have some different features that would help me with control. I'm already planning to get the Dexcom sensor when I can afford it so the CGMS is not a part of my pump decision. Thank you.

Blessings,
    Michelle

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

my dd has had both pumps. had Animas first. She didn't have the pda thing that came with the animas. just the 2020. i thought it had a lot of button pushing.
    she has the MM now. I don't push buttons on it very much (she's almost 15) but it seems like less button pushing.

she prefers the Dexcom CGMS to the MM one. the MM CGMS sits in drawer.
    I am waiting for MM to release the new CGMS before getting new one. the Dexcom is lost somewhere.

I'm very happy with both companies customer service. I do love the carelink much better than the animas software. Its internet based. It seems everytime I wanted to download, I'd have to reinstall the system with the disk(animas) There would insue huge fight with my DH and I. trying to get the system to download-Our computers seem to get hacked a lot.

the download from the MM is so easy, well you know that. to download from our 2020 you would have to hold the pump next to this dongle thing, and sometimes it couldn't find it. was frustrating.

3. michelleb

michelleb Approved members

Can some of you who have used Animas pumps share your expereinces (pros and cons)? Thank you so much!

Michelle

4. actualreality86

actualreality86 Approved members

Don't mean to hijack you're post but I'd love to know the pros and cons of the Animas as well. Thanks for making a post about this. My warranty is up in two years.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Daughter loves the remote, though for quick, down and dirty bolus without bg, the pump is best. You should know that the cartridge only holds around 200 units and there seem to be a few more "pieces and parts" to the cartridge (you have to attach the plunger and screw on the needle before drawing out insulin.) There is no ACT button. You have to hit the arrow button to scroll up to input the number and then scroll to the "go" part of the screen. So, more fiddle-faddle, but maybe an extra second? I would suggest trying one to see the difference.

6. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

I like my Omnipod

I realize it's not one that you asked information about, but I have to share that I really like my Omnipod system. Thanks! :)

7. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

My DS has been on a MM 522 for about 3.5 years, and we're a few days into a trial of the Ping. I have found good and bad features with the Ping, but Sean just hates it. He's found it to be more cumbersome to bolus and lost his patience with it the first time he bolused at school (admittedly I probably didn't force him to sit through enough of the training, but we did go over the EzCarb feature a few times and he thought he had it down). He also found the first couple of boluses painful, till we set the bolus speed to slow. Then the site started bothering him so I had him pull it out and I went to his school to change it and he refused to let me reconnect it, so he's back on the MM. I'm hopeful he'll give it more of a chance, but we're probably going to go to a MM Revel.

I really like that you can adjust the I:C ratio and ISF on the fly while calculating a bolus. I'm not sure how much we'd actually use it, but it seems useful. The screen is awesome, and of course the remote is great when your programming a bolus for a CWD.

On the downside, you always hear about how the button pushing is "different". What you don't hear so much is that there is a lot more of it. Not only do you have to "dial up" the bolus after the pump calculates it, there are also lots of places where after you've changed a setting or selected an option, you have to arrow down to a "go" option and press okay. Not real annoying for a short time but I'm sure it would get very old very soon.

It also loses track of IOB when you change the battery.

It does seem like a nice piece of hardware, and I wish MM would add a color screen and a better remote, but all things considered we prefer the MM and look farward to getting a pump with the CGM improvements on the Guardian.

8. actualreality86

actualreality86 Approved members

Hows the back light feature?

9. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

The backlight on the remote is the same as on your MM pump. The Ping itself isn't really backlit. It's an OLED, so it's lit like a flat screen TV.

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

On the mm pump the one touch meter is very dark. Forget seeing it at night.i can barely see in day

11. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

This was a really dumb oversight on MM's part (assuming they gave J&J the specs. That same hardware platform is used for other meters; Ping remote, and UltraSmart and I believe both are backlit.

We've had ours for a long time (never used), are the newer ones going out now updated at all (perhaps with a backlight)?