- advertisement -

Time for a symbol for type one diabetes (T1D)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aml, Sep 28, 2014.

1. aml

aml Approved members

It’s time. Time for a unique symbol for type 1 diabetes--the equivalent of the breast cancer pink ribbon--to provide a unifying theme for building awareness and fundraising. Today, every family fundraising team and organization has their own identity. The current message of our search for a cure is fragmented.

The UN symbol for international diabetes day--the blue circle--to which some in this community have become attached, has never generated the global momentum imagined and at best represents only a general view of all diabetes (including type 2). I've heard the arguments that we need to promote the blue circle. But now more than ever, as coverage of type 2 has increased dramatically and creates more confusion, we have to fight to educate the general public about type 1. Type 1 is relentless and we must be relentless as well. We have to remain intensely focused and raise our voice. A symbol can help.

In the spirit of “we are not waiting!” I am sharing a new graphic symbol for type 1 with you. A symbol that respects and reflects the foundation of the international blue circle but goes further by presenting a unique visual statement for type 1. A symbol that can consolidate public focus. My intent is to push a grass roots effort to have this symbol adopted by non-profit groups and fundraisers--to be used on t-shirts, websites, and fundraising events and jewelry.

You can view this new symbol and story on the “C1D Symbol” tab of http://www.curetypeone.com www.curetypeone.com, a non-commercial website I set up to help parents of newly diagnosed children in the first 30 days. The symbol is available to you for any non-commercial use. Your comments are welcome.

2. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I look forward to the day when the two types are differentiated. I am sure I do not need to tell you how many times I have had to educate someone who thinks it is so strange for my "tiny little, non-overweight" child to have diabetes, especially since my "husband and I are not at all overweight." Seriously, this was said to me the other day. It is time!!!! It is not the same!!!! And I am so tired of the two being lumped together.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I like this logo and would have appreciated the website when our son was first diagnosed. Have you reached out to JDRF or JDCA, or even your local hospital?

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This reminds me a bit of the (failed) attempt to come up with a new name for Type 1 diabetes. We don't need a new name for it because there already is a name for it. Just like we don't need a new symbol for it because there are already several globally recognized symbols. Is the world supposed to get rid of the other, already established symbols and use this one? Not going to happen. If people want to raise awareness or money for Type 1 diabetes, it is pretty simple. Donate to the charity of your choice. Participate in a fundraiser from one of those charities. Start your own fundraiser in your neighborhood. Plenty of already established ways to participate.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Christopher makes a good point. While I truly like your logo and feel strongly about there being a clear distinction between Types 1 and 2 Diabetes, I'd like the focus to remain on funding to find a cure for T1D, not on adopting a new logo or changing the name of Type 1 Diabetes.

6. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

I think your website is great- a very nice way to make a difference! And I really like your new logo idea- well done! I do not want to start another contentious debate like occurred last year, but I do want to correct Christopher- the attempt to rename both T1&T2 to names that actually mean something rather than just meaningless numbers has not failed. Quite to the contrary, it is still going strong- approaching 10,000 signatures. The article below was in U.S. News and World Report just a week or so ago. It references our petition with a link- just click on the "9,000 signatures".

Sure there are established ways to participate, but in my opinion, status quo is simply not working to spread awareness, end the confusion between and about T1&T2, and raise funds. For example, Cystic Fybrosis raised $134mil in support for a cure from the public last year. That equates to $4,500 per person living with the disease. Funds raised from the public for a cure for T1D was $207mil. That equates to $69 per person living with T1. Yep, only $69!!! Few people understand CF, but they know it is serious and not the same as asthma, for instance; but if they were just named Type 1 lung disease and type 2 lung disease, would the public understand anything at all? Would fundraising be so successful? The name confusion and related misconceptions are a roadblock to a cure. People will not give for a cure or pay attention to any cause related to a disease that they believe can be managed with lifestyle.

Again, I'm not commenting to debate. We have done that at length and if someone disagrees, simply don't sign. But I wanted to let others know the movement is far from failed and far from over. And a change in name or a new symbol- whether successful in achieving our end-goal or not, will at a minimum increase awareness and understanding just in the roll-out itself. It was all over the news shows when Apergers was removed as a diagnosis and added to the Autism Spectrum.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...ving-with-type-1-diabetes-a-forgotten-disease

https://www.change.org/p/revise-names-of-type-1-2-diabetes-to-reflect-the-nature-of-each-disease

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Who are you Lois Lerner? You can't state your position and not expect to hear the other side. Of course this is asking for a debate. Just say'in ...

8. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

I understand. The debate was lengthy last year when I first posted our petition. I'm sure the thread is still here if you want to search for it. I simply don't want to get into a debate this time around. I simply wanted to correct Christopher's statement and state my support for the original poster. It's not that I don't respect your opinion- I do. Everyone is entitled to their own position on the issue. I am not interested in trying to persuade anyone to sign. So no debate from me. Sorry.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I just read the U.S. News and World Report article. Anyone else notice the link to the article "Sneaky Sources of Sugar" in the middle of it? Ugh....

10. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I love the logo! :smile:

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

I dunno ... I've never felt the need for a logo ... old or new.

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I agree. I don't think we need a "logo". Type 1 diabetes is never going to have the visibility of breast cancer or even childhood cancer, or AIDS. I will continue to raise awareness of Type 1 diabetes and raise money for research through fundraising and advocacy. But I'm not worried about wasting my energies with the general population knowing the difference between type 1 and type 2. Emma has had diabetes for 7 1/2 years and not once have I had someone say "but she's not fat?" I have had many ask if she will ever outgrow this, or will she always have to take insulin. I take it for what it is, a true attempt to understand so I explain. If they ask about the difference - I explain it. But that's it.

While this disease is very important to us, and yes, it can kill our children, it will never have the visibility of childhood cancer because its chronic and manageable most of the time - and cancer is often deadly for children. I'm very thankful for the advances in treatment that research has brought my child - our life is so much better than diabetics had it even 20 years ago, and I hope in 20 years that her treatments will be even better. I don't need a logo or a name change to get that.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well said Nancy.

14. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I love the logo!

15. Christopher

Thanks, but I don't need to be corrected. In my opinion it failed. But I can revise my wording to say "currently unsuccessful", meaning that the name has not been changed and, again in my opinion, it won't be nor should it be.

16. Christopher

Respectfully, let's be honest here. If you were not interested in trying to get people to sign your petition, you would have just come here and stated your support for the OP and never mentioned your cause or included a link to your website for your cause.

It's fine if you want to try and drum up support, but it is disingenuous to then try and deny you are doing it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  17. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree with Nancy. While I must admit that I sometimes find it annoying when people make the usual assumptions upon hearing that my daughter has T1D, I jump on the chance to educate someone and welcome the opportunity to advocate. I remind myself that it's not anyone's fault that they don't know the difference; why would they? I like the feeling of knowing that once I've explained the difference, there's a chance that person will in turn go forth and have an opportunity to educate someone else about the difference. I've seen this happen in real life. When my daughter was first diagnosed, most of the neighborhood kids made comments like "Hey, you can't eat that, it's sugar!" My daughter or I would then explain the difference between T1 and T2. Within a matter of a month or two, all the kids knew the difference. A new family then moved to our neighborhood. Some time later, I overheard one of my daughter's friends explaining what T1 is to the new kid.

I believe that we should focus on educating people about the difference between the Types instead of trying to make the distinction with a new name and/or icon. I fear that if T1D was given a new name, people would ask "What's that?" and then it would just be a matter of time before other people would start saying things like "Oh, they just gave it a new name because they were ashamed and trying to hide the the fact that it's their own fault because they're fat and lazy." Then we're back to square one. So why not simply cut to the chase and educate people about the difference whenever you get the chance?

18. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

Boy, you sure are argumentative. Your statement did need to be corrected because it is was false- regardless of what your opinion is on the matter. It has been successful on many fronts. Nearly 10,000 people have signed and it means a lot to those people. It is not a frivolous issue in their opinions- or ours. It is still being referenced and promoted by researchers who understand its potential impact on fundraising- such as those at the DRI. No name change yet, but we did not expect to happen quickly. It is a process and the movement is known throughout the ADA, JDRF, and IDF. I am committed to doing everything I can to bring my son closer to a cure and this issue is standing in the way of fundraising efforts to make that happen. So while I am doing other things like meeting with our congresswoman, the DRI walk, hosting the Diathlete from the UK, organizing an inspirational event for local T1 families and a fundraiser for Marjorie's Fund- I have in no way given up on our name revision movement. It is not over and has not failed.

19. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

And you are also antagonistic. I am not trying to get signatures here. As you remember, I did that a year ago and was met with similar hostility as I am getting from you. However, I did not want anyone to think the movement was dead- that it has failed. I am not and never have been disingenuous. I provided evidence to show that it is still alive and well and a success so far. I am not arguing points regarding the validity of our movement. I am only defending myself against your attacks and clarifying your incorrect statement. You compared the original posters movement to our petition. Therefore, I brought it up. Very simple.

20. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

As I said, this is why I brought up the current state of our petition and why I specifically addressed the points I did in my original reply. I think the work that the original poster has done is outstanding- the website is a great idea and so helpful to others. I would have commented directly on the website to express my opinion rather than reply to the thread- had it not been for Christopher's comment. So....to anyone who has commented or will comment about our movement, please know I respect your opinion and thank you for your thoughts- for or against, but I will not be responding. Like I said, I do not want to debate here. This thread is for the original poster and I do not want to take away from that any more than I already have. And I do not want to lower the integrity of this forum by responding to comments such as those from Christopher. So..bravo to aml and sorry for the intrusion :).