advertisement

Thryoid Disease and Autoimmune Risks

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, May 9, 2009.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

On April 17, I saw my endo for a pre-op exam and just because I happened to be there and have been losing weight since September, we decided to test my TSH. The TSH was low, indicating hyperthyroidism. The same blood sample was used to test T3 and T4, and since those were okay (one totally normal, one borderline), I went ahead and had surgery and my endo said to come see him after I was recovered enough.
    So on May 8, I went back to see him. My pulse was 88, weight 97 (was 119 in August), bp 104/56, tremors in my hands and tongue (I didn't know you get a tremor in your tongue), normal reflexes, and no goiter.
    He drew my blood again to recheck the TSH and to check for antibodies, and gave me a form to get an iodine uptake scan.

I asked him what're the odds that this'll go away by itself and I'm fine. He said very small, unless I'm taking an iodine supplement or something, which I'm not. He said at this point, he thinks I probably have one of three things: Graves' Disease (an autoimmune disorder in which your thyroid swells up and makes too much thyroid hormone),
    Hashitoxicosis (which is where you start hyperthyroid and then develop hypothyroidism in Hashimoto's Disease, also autoimmune), or
    Plummer's Disease (which is basically a benign thyroid tumor, and probably autoimmune- at least, antibodies for Hashi's and Graves' are common with Plummer's).

So right now, it looks like I have a second autoimmune disease, and it's probably Graves' disease, although it might not be. Although I am worried about the thyroid itself, and also kind of wornout from surgery and from the thyroid symptoms and stuff, I'm also wondering about my risks of getting more autoimmune diseases.
    After all, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes less than three years ago. I don't have a family history of diabetes or thyroid disease of any type at all, not that I or my parents know of.
    If a 20 year old man has type 1 diabetes and Graves' Disease developed at ages 16/17 and 19/20, what are his odds of developing another autoimmune disorder by age 30?

Also, from what I can see on these forums, lots of kids have diabetes and Hashimoto's. Did any of your kids have hashitoxicosis, Graves' or Plummers? How does it affect diabetes before you're treated, and how does it affect diabetes while you're being treated?

2. Sportster

Sportster Approved members

I was diagnosed at the same time having Type I and Hyperactive Thyroid. My Endo ordered radioactive scans, etc. My cause of Hyperthyroid is Multitoxic Goiter and Graves Disease. Because I was diagnosed at the same time with both I couldn't distingish what symptoms was causing what? I took PTU and Inderal for 2 years and I am now in remission. Not on any med's for thyroid!!! I'm told though that my chances of it going back active is high. If or when it does come back I'm seriously thinking of killing it. Mainly because the PTU makes my muscles very weak and also, because I won't be able to afford all of the blood work involved.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I ranged from Hyper to Hypo for a few years before I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I spent more time hyper, but not quite enough to need meds.

I had positive thyroid antibodies 4 years after I was diagnosed with T1.

I do worry about other autoimmune stuff. The ones that worry me the most now are Celiac and RA.

4. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I dont have any medical background so I have no insight into what I'm reading but I did see a few articles exploring the possibility of untreated celiac disease leading to the diagnosis of other autoimmune diseases.

When my dd was diagnosed in 2006 with type 1, she had an enlarged thyroid, they told us to keep a watch on. She was dx'd with hashimoto's hypothyroidism in 2008. She has celiac scores and we are supposed to consult with a pediatric GI about CD, now in 2009.

I wonder if a GF diet would help her not be diagnosed with further autoimmune diseases.

5. lisab

lisab Approved members

I was diagnosed with Graves 11 years ago - had the iodine uptake, which unfortunately only aggravated the thyroid further, was on medication on and off for years with some relief from symptoms - I now go backwards and forwards between hyper and hypo.

Hyperthyroidism - speeds up the metabolism, the whole system, digestion, heart rate - all of which places major stress on the body , not very pleasant symptoms to experience.

I don't really have any answers in regards to the likelihood of any further Auto-Immune diseases being diagnosed.

I just wanted to say good luck with the testing and any resulting treatment, I hope you get it all sorted out for the best.

6. jnsliter

jnsliter New Member

My little girl was dig. at 3 in July and by Nov her thyroid was hypo. this was 10 years ago. The drs. said her chances are high for developing another autoimmune . Right now been in hospital 3 times in the past month with vomiting and no one can figure out why. She has lost 15lbs since May.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

have they tested for celiac?

kim

8. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

My dd was dx with t1 and hypothroid in Feb. and vitiligo (also autoimmune) in June. I asked the endo what are her chances of developing other autoimmune disease and she said she's definately at a greater risk because she already has 3.

9. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Has she gotten any better has anyone found anything out yet? This is terrible for her and her family.