- advertisement -

throat infection and lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zapsmom, Jul 8, 2011.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I am pretty sure that my DD has a throat infection and sinus infection.She is seeing our ped today. Her sugar levels are staying on low. Yesterday she had two severe lows ,1.8, one where she couldn't even hold her juice box and was going to sleep while I was trying to get her to drink the juice.I had to use icing to bring her levels up(Glucgon(sp) was expired from not having to use.. feeling like a bad mom for not knowing it was) I did call our D nurse who told me to lower her insulin and not to let her go to bed with her under 10. I did all of this. She was a 13 at bedtime. She woke up this morning at 3.3 still. Even 2 hrs later she is a 6.0 which I gave her a popicle for so she doesn't drop in the next half hour . I am checking her more frequently about every 2 hrs. IS there anything else I can to make sure her levels would not drop all day again? So should I be testing for ketones? I am use to her having sinus infection that mess up her levels but not throat infections. ALso Sinus infections usually make her levels high not low. Any advice would be great!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry about the nasty lows. I'd hope that your nurse has advised you to reduce the Humalin N? I'd be doing 2-3 checks (at least) overnight until she's doing better.

Is she on antibiotics? Infections generally do raise BG, but I've heard of antibiotics lowering BG.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im thinking Zoee is probably not eating much? Poor little girl:( Is she mostly having cool liquids and popsicles for carbs? You may need to reduce the insulin yet again if shes not got much of an appetite and test often. Does she get two shots of NPH? or just one?

4. Kyra's Mom

Kyra's Mom Approved members

Kyra had a throat infection about 3 weeks ago and she was very low because she was not eating, because she is in a honeymoon right now we actually had to take her off all insulin because she just would not eat anything or drink. The infection only lasted about 5 days before she was back to eating. She did not have strep and the doctor told me it was viral and not bacterial so no antibiotics. While she was sick I was checking her every hour, first because she was going so low and then because she had not insulin and I was worried she would go high. Once she was feeling better we had a hard time getting her insulin back to levels that was keeping her bg under control. It took about a week total to get everything back to normal after she got better.

5. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

So Zoee does have a throat infection. I had talk to the CDE again. she had me cut her insulin down more and give no insulin with supper and bedtime. She also told me that the one severe low Zoee had yesterday was a diabetic seizure which is why the no insulin in the evening or night.Well, now she is running high (23.1) and she has ketones. Called the dr on call who had me give her 2 units of Humalog just fo rthe ketones, I have to check her through the night to make sure she does drop too low again. This is not a problem b/c I check her right a couple times at night anyway. SIGH, the last couple of days I am having one of these" I hate Diabetes days! "

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm completely stunned that they'd tell you to skip dinner and evening insulin. That means that there will be NO active insulin in her body, which is just.. well, it's no surprise she has ketones. :(

I'm sure you don't need to be told, but please keep a really close eye on those ketones. If I had no insulin at all in my body, things would be going downhill fast. I'm really shocked that they didn't have you give any N, even if the amount was greatly reduced.