- advertisement -

Three cgm questions...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Aug 9, 2014.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Matt (age 13) just started with the new Medtronic pump (with cgm) this week. So far, so good. He is really liking it. I like it because it gives me some piece of mind in the night when I check it and see a straight line. I can sleep more hours if I know that the cgm reading has been consistent for several hours. Also, I look forward to sending the data to our doctor. With so much information I feel he will be able to tweak the basal better than ever.

Here are my questions:

1. What do you consider the main selling points for using a cgm? Did I miss anything in my paragraph above where I listed why I liked it?

2. How far off is your cgm and finger stick readings most of the time? I find that Matthew' is usually between 10 and 30 off.

3. How did your child's A1c and overall numbers improve following startup with the cgm?

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I really like knowing the direction a # is going. That helps me make treatment decisions.

We have the Dexcom. Sometimes the meter is off by up to 30 pts but often it is very close. Well within the range of what error meters are allowed anyway. In fact I would say it is rarely off by more than that though it is slow is knowing when she is coming up from a low.

My dd's A1c has gone down since we got the Dex but that may also be partly due to other (hormone) issues. She was hovering in low 7s, maybe occasionally 6.9 and since Dex has been down to 6.5ish. A lot of that is due to me not overreacting to lowish numbers that are holding steady I think . Sometimes a1cs go up since more lows are avoided.

3. suej

suej Approved members

So much more insight into how sugars are an alive and moving river with rapids and eddies and mountains (if that's possible in a river) and so being able to try to smooth and navigate and be pro-active. It remains a work in progress but things like pre-bolusing especially before breakfast to minimise the post breakfast spike that I had not known was there before CGM. And as a very important layer of protection against nighttime hypoglycaenia as my son has never woken to lows, sadly medtronics alarms don't wake him either so we have an elaborate microphone/speaker set up. He also uses the Predictive Low alarm setting to head off lows.

That seems about right. With the "new" enlite, mostly under 20 for my son and often, if a bit more the next reading has an arrow and we had calibrated just when his sugars began to move. We try to calibrate when he is in the 80 - 120 range when his glucometer also offers good accuracy. Also at lower normal ranges it should be out by less than at higher numbers as it is the percentage difference that is NB. Less than 15% difference is good in my experience.

Funnily enough his A1c has not budged at all in the last year since we started. It has literally been 6.4% for the last year, checked every 3 months, last checked in June. We started CGM before pumping, at our insistence as endo thought we were not ready to pump???? So we had 6 months of GCM and MDI and I often felt frustrated as it was not easy to act on a high without another injection, particularly in the middle of the night, but helped with detecting lows early and ds enjoyed not pricking fingers as often. Pumping started 8 months ago and really has improved my sons quality of life in terms of eating when he wants to and eating more tricky food (pizza) now and then. I do hope one day my son will get HbA1c into the upper 5's and although that has not happened the CGM has made lows less frequent, is entering puberty and eating more frequently, so I think that without the CGM we would have seen a higher A1c

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

To answer your questions

1) trends and patterns, meaning is my DS trending up or down now. Easily see when a pattern develops. For example my DS spikes huge after breakfast compared to other meals, and often dips between 4 and 5 in the afternoon.

2) not counting the first 12 hours after a sensor starts, we are often within 10 of a fingerstick.

3) DS's A1C dropped 0.5 because with the CGM we don't feel as nervous with numbers in the 80's and 90's and we don't over treat lows when they do happen. We also are more confident/less nervous in preblousing.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

We have a Dexcom. Love it!

1) Catching lows and highs before they get to be a problem. We rarely have lows below 60 now and we feel confident letting her run in the 80-100 range for long periods of time. Peace of mind at night! Being able to be very aggressive with stubborn highs during growth spurts. Keeping up with basal rate changes, especially at night. It seems about every 6 weeks she needs a basal rate adjustment. Life is just easier and safer with a CGM!

2) 0-30 points off, and very often only 0-10 off. I have seen test strips from the same drop of blood be 0-40 off.

3) Our last A1C was only a 5 weeks into the Dex and we had some really bad highs before it so her A1C was up from 6.8% to 7.4%, the highest it's been in a long time. We have an appointment in 2 weeks and I will be surprised if it's not back down to mid 6% again.

It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good. It's sort of like going somewhere with just a general idea where your going to all of a sudden having GPS. You still have to pay attention, make important decisions and drive safely but it's a whole lot easier.