- advertisement -

Thoughts on using CWD to your advantage

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Truer words and all that...and part of being an 'old timer' is that I remember the sense of community that existed; and yes, I remember as a 'newbie', that it was this sense of community and openness and authentic communication that I loved.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

My intention was not to call anyone out or cry foul or hide behind anything, just to share an observation that might or might not be helpful. Feel free to take from it or not. Peace.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Sometimes it's like in that movie fight club and we get support group imposters too. Next time Gary / Carbz posts I think I will advise him advise him to become a support group imposter to witness more sever suffering than his own

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I'm sorry...that was not in any way directed specifically at you. Just *my* observation of what sometimes happens. The newbie is as responsible to acclimate as the oldtimer is to accommodate.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Truth ... harsh but true.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Ok, thanks for explaining. :cwds:

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

:cwds: I think we will all see a change in this site over the next few years as those under 35 start to join in looking for help. That is the generation used to communicating via email,texts,twitter, etc. .:cwds:ali

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pretty much sums up the point of the thread.

New people! Pay attention! This isn't a drive thru, it's a community. Please take the time to follow some of the rules.

Old people! Be patient! Be generous with your knowledge, but remember, this isn't a drive thru, it's a community.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well put, Sarah.. :)

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Thanks for bringing the thread back to where it started.

Advice to live by!

11. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Just pointing out that perhaps Sarah should not have said "Old people! Be patient!..." Instead, "Experienced people..." While I may be "old" I think many of the experienced people here are about 20 years younger. :)

BTW, I do not comment on a lot of threads because of several factors: our child w diabetes is no longer a child; she was diagnosed in the almost dark ages (dark ages for me are the days before the home glucose meter existed); she used R and NPH as a toddler, young child; I have no experience with Lantus or Levemir, the Pod, anything MiniMed, CGMs (Marissa does use one, but I am almost clueless as to how to use it--yes, I can look and see what the trend is :)), etc. I try to help with sick days, but not with school issues. My experiences are vast, but not the same as some of those of who whose child/self was/were diagnosed in the past 10 years. Things have changed quite a lot during our time with diabetes.

CWD exists to help others. Sometimes our (collective) words of help are misunderstood/misinterpreted by others. I think some of that is related to frustration, lack of sleep, lack of experience (due to newness of diabetes), and/or lack of education (not of parents, but with respect to what our diabetes teams do NOT provide), etc. It's like that saying, "Let's eat, Grandma" versus "Let's eat Grandma." As Jeff often points out, WE are not enemies, diabetes is.

12. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Hi Sarah,

I was intrigued enough by your thread to chime in after many months of inactivity.
    I would agree with the change in complexion in the forum over the years.
    Being 6+ years into this my posting participation has gone way down and we're basically on auto pilot.
    I too miss the 'old folks' and spritely discussions on PID loops with Marsha!
    But things change and life moves on.

Not to say I don't peruse the place frequently, as I do every few days mainly keeping up on research discussions.
    If I see something I could offer any helpful advise from experience, I will.
    As many have said CWD was a comforting resource at dxd time.