- advertisement -

Thoughts on using CWD to your advantage

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've been around here for an embarrassingly long time, and I've learned a few things about using CWD over the years that I thought I'd share.

By way of disclaimer, I'm not telling anyone how to post or what to post. I'm simply suggesting a few things that might make your posting experience better. I am not an admin, I have only briefly met Jeff, I am not speaking as an authority, simply as a member.

1. Make a signature. Include your child's DOB or age and date of dx. Note your insulin regimen, i.e. MDI, Pump etc

2. Be specific in your post title. "I have a problem" might not get you as many views or as much meaningful help as would "I have a problem with lows at night"

3. Check back in. People get a bit frustrated when they respond to your thread and you don't check back in - a simple "thanks for the input" is fine, but no one likes to be carrying on a conversation by themselves. You don't have to agree or perhaps you might see in the comments that you were not perfectly clear in your OP and a reply is a great time to add more information.

4. Use the quote feature instead of saying, "like someone said". The quote feature allows you to build on someone's comment, to grow the conversation, which is, I think, the point.

So that's a start. CWD is a great resource. It really saved my sanity when I first stumbled in 5 years ago.:cwds:

I thought we could start a conversation about anything that you have noticed that might help make a new member's experience even better.;)

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

One thing I know I can be guilty of sometimes is going into "I've been doing this forever mode" when explaining something. I may use slang, or toss terms around. So, to help those members that are new, take a moment and slow down and explain it...simply, yet thoroughly. :cwds:

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Don't take offence easily.. Its hard to convey emotions through written word and you may read something in a different context to which it was written.. Take time to try and understand it properly. :cwds:

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Good point. Or saying, "Oh Marsha would know that!" when the OP probably doesn't know that you are talking about a math goddess :p

I agree - this causes more stress than it should :cwds:

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I LOL'd when I read the title.. I thought you meant actually using your KID with D as an advantage.. LOL.. I was thinking "Has Sarah lost her mind?" :D

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

HA HA that is what I first thought too.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

You wouldn't be the first, or the last, I suppose :p

Really, I just see this precipitous drop off in traffic and so many old folk gone and new folk who may not be using CWD to their best advantage... but in the end, it's not my site and I can't resurrect it to what it was, I'd just like newer posters to get as much from it as I did. I was simply trying to pay back a bit :cwds:

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, me too!! :)

Great post, Sarah! I was fortunate to find CWD very soon after my son's DX. (There was a CWD pamphlet in our Bag of Hope. :) ) I honestly don't know what I would have done without the support and information I have learned, and continue to learn, here.

9. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I have learned so much here and am sure I would have lost my marbles if I hadn't found this place. ;)

Here's a link to thread about acronyms & abbreviations we tend to commonly use in posts. There are both d-related and forum/internet speak listed.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=9804&highlight=acronyms

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Something that I try to do, and yes, sometimes fail at, is to assume good intentions.

Just because someone asks you a question does not mean they are questioning you; it simply means they need more information to provide the best, most accurate answers.

Also, I always try and keep in mind that we are all doing this for free...none of us get paid, we are not endo's , we cannot take the place of your endo team, but we can try our best to help. And I guarantee, if we are taking the time to respond to you, it is because we are genuine people - parents of CWD's and CWD's themselves. We are not paid spokesman.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It would be great if when people signed up that they had to check off certain boxes in order to make an account. That info could then be taken and put into a signature automatically.

For example:
    Daughter
    Regimin: Pump
    Insulin: Novolog
    Diagnosed: 06/05

That info, while still keeping your privacy, will be there for others to help out. Then, if you want to add any additional info to your signature, you are welcome to modify.

In addition, it would be nice if there was a mini tutorial when you are starting up an account, showing you how to use the site to your advantage (you could have the option of seeing it or not).

12. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

BTDT :p That's what I thought Sarah meant, too... like when I brought half a dozen juice boxes (and a bottle of diet soda!) to treat Alex's lows at Six Flags this past summer. :rolleyes: They surely would have been tossed into the food donation box otherwise. :D

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think this is all excellent advice.

I also like the advice to assume good intentions. I really do not believe anyone here ever posts maliciously or to harm; but often the words are taken in that light and things get ugly. Don't be so quick to take offense, more often than not no offense is intended.

I would like to add to the more seasoned parents to please remember what it feels like in the early days. EVERYTHING is an emergency. I'd say we need to work a bit more to show grace sometimes around here. Again, I don't believe anyone ever means to be anything but helpful, but I myself even forget how scary it it all once was, and how hard to go against MD advice and strike out on my own.

14. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

As a newbie here, and to diabetes, I really appreciate this comment. Particularly the last paragraph.

I do not post on this forum very much because some people seem really harsh and gruff when people ask questions, or don't understand an explanation, or disagree. It's very off putting to someone whose life has just been turned upside down and needs help and support. I'm not a particularly sensitive type personally but I really feel bad about how I've seen some people treated. And, in all honesty, I've heard that it can be "rough" over on CWD before I ever checked it out for myself.

I've posted on other types of forums for upwards of ten years so I do understand that you can't always read "tone" and I always try to assume that people mean well but some of the comments I've read seem so in-your-face rude. Sometimes I actually cringe when I read some of the responses. I keep telling myself that it can't be the posters true intentions, but those types of comments keep me from really joining in over here. I tend to read and scour the forums a lot, gleaning what I can without getting directly involved.

I'm not saying that everyone is harsh all of the time, that's certainly not the case. I've ran across some very sweet and encouraging people here and lots of great advice. And I do believe everyone means well deep down, but the mood seems to turn fast over here and before you know it, it's gotten ugly. It can be intimidating for a newbie.

Just this newbie's perspective...

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

We once upon a time had a Rep system. I remember not knowing why Ellen had all those cute little green boxes ;) Without a rep system it's not a bad idea to note how many post someone has. I'm not saying that a poster with 10,000 posts is smarter than one with 12, but that if they have bothered to read and respond to thousands of comments over years and have most likely thought through, read and discussed the topic about which they are responding.

As for CWD being mean. I only every hear that from people who don't play a role here so I never take it all that seriously.Once you've posted something that you really need help with, or are very much afraid of, or clueless about and members take the time to talk you down, of calm your fears or give you clear sick day advice then you get over the hump of ever whining about CWD being "mean". CWD is just people - individuals who willingly help out strangers, imho, the very opposite of mean.

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I wouldn't say anyone is mean, but as I said earlier I think some grace is never a bad idea. Sometimes someone will ask about giving a kid candy or whatever, the replies can vary from "why on earth wouldn't you let them have candy" to "candy is fine, just bolus for it". Both SAY the same thing, but the delivery varies. The first could be interpreted as mean, the other educates and shows grace to those still learning. Again, emotions in the early days are raw, and even well meaning advice can be misinterpreted.

I think that there have been new members who didn't come back because they felt put down. I think that's a shame.

17. dshull

dshull Approved members

I so appreciate this comment as well. I am new here and have posted many questions and now realize I often never came back to say thanks or tell people how things turned out. I kind of forgot my manners there, it is very unlike me and I do appreciate the help I have gotten here.

But also please understand that I am only four months into this. Many, many days, I wonder how I will get up and do all of this again tomorrow. Diabetes is currently consuming my entire life and I am sure many people in my life think I have become incredibly self-focused and absorbed. But I am doing the best I can for now. Someday I hope to be calm and collected about this, but right now to me, everything is an emergency.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

18. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Guess I wasn't the only one thinking Sarah was going to give us some tips on how to get "first in line" because our kids have D! :D

I really like the idea of an automatic signature...just the basics would be great.

It's hard not to forget those early days of fear, anger, sadness...but I also know as more time has passed, many of us have just taken the position that this is D life, you deal and move on. I've never expected seasoned members on CWD to offer rainbow and unicorn advice, but some newbies just need a softer tone approach.

My thoughts on using CWD to your advantage is take off the blinders, consider the advice of folks who have taken the time to offer, and remember this is a community of people here to help. You can use their advice or not. I truly value those members who have walked more miles on the d-road. God knows I need all the help I can get to be a good pancreas mama. :cwds:

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

LOL, obviously I need to take my own advice about making titles clear!:p

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Same...until I looked to see who'd written it.