- advertisement -

Thoughts on this article American Girl doll

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. njswede

njswede Approved members

It's NaturalNews. Pure trash. They're also making up stories that Bill Gates is in on a conspiracy with the Jews to kill 90% of the world population with vaccines. I'm dead serious. That's the kind of junk they're pushing. NOTHING in NaturalNews is true or reliable. Ignore and move on.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The article was so badly written I won't even bother to comment on it. my youngest is into American Girl and she will get the kit with other Valentines present and we will see what she does with it.

The comment are blown up with T1D parents and caregivers, Ill let them do all the talking.

4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thanks! I know it is garbage and I should ignore it, but it is popping up in social media feeds. Yikes, after 13 years of being a T1D mom I should have a thicker skin.
    Just wanted to share with those who "get it."

5. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

It's hard though! For me anyway. I saw the source and knew it was going to be a BS article but I couldn't help reading it and getting annoyed by it. I was glad to see that almost all the comments were about how the author needs to do better research and get facts straight.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yup I am 10 years and almost 2 years into T!D, it is funny how some things I have heard so much over the 10 years but then something new said/read and I take new offense to the comment.

OK, so my girls have PE once a week with a PE teacher. She is a younge athletic type of gal, and around Halloween she made a comment about Diabetes and my 7 year old called her out by saying No I don't eat a lot of candy my body made a mistake! Then the PE teacher corrected herself and said that kids can get Type 2 by eating too much candy. My daughter came home and told me this and I felt the need to send off a little email. After all it was October and Diabetes awareness month.

I never heard a word from the PE teacher but heard back about my concern with the "blame" the PE teacher was placing on children. My point being it is possible that one of her students has been diagnosed with Type 2, or maybe a parent or family member, and we should never reduce a disease down to "eating candy".

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm surprised this article was published; it's so chock full of nonsense that it doesn't even meet the unfathomably low standards of a rag like "Natural News"...

S. Johnson is clearly a total effing walnut! (Let's hope s/he doesn't breed!)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

To quote Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory... "it's a bunch of malarky."

Look at the source, it's a website offering natural cures for every condition. Smart people will pay no heed to it.

But my thoughts on it? It sucks.

9. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I seriously was tempted to post these memes in the comments... Gotta love Sheldon Cooper :wink:
    GirlScoutDiabetesJoke.jpg StupidPeople.jpg

I ended up noting that the paleolithic men did not see high T2DM rates, because they were dead long before the average age of onset (and all cases of T1DM during that time were lethal). Someone on a Facebook group I'm in also posted an article on NaturalNews about a doctor with type 1 diabetic "curing" his diabetes with a raw food diet. This guy is a doctor for Pete's sake, and he doesn't even acknowledge that his diabetes might have been "cured" as part of the honeymoon phase (or a form of LADA or a really slow autoimmune process... but insulin would eventually be required). I'm scared for his patients...

10. njswede

njswede Approved members

I said "ignore it". I wish to revise that statement. NaturalNews is a very, very dangerous publication. They have tens of millions of gullible readers and promote things like holistic "cures" for cancer and T1D. That's akin to promoting murder, because death is the only outcome you'll have of a "holistic cure" for something like T1D. So if you see posts from NaturalNews in your social media stream, confront it. I always give people one chance to get educated on the subject before I unfriend them.

11. andiej

andiej Approved members

I've seen this link a few places now, unfortunately whenever it's linked to from other websites the more popular it will become in google. Best thing is to ignore it and not give it any publicity....the title of the website tells me all i need to know lol. Though yes it's very very annoying.

12. dpr

dpr Approved members

WOW! The arrogant ignorance of the author is truly amazing.

For any of you thinking about getting the American Girl diabetes set for your girls, my mother got one for my daughter for her birthday a couple weeks ago and I have to say it's pretty darn cute and accurately copied from a real kit. My daughter loves it and I give it two thumbs up!

13. njswede

njswede Approved members

Amen to that! Play is a very good way for kids to deal with difficult situations. A week after diagnosis, Noah and his twin sister set up this elaborate pet clinic for all of their stuffed animals, and wouldn't you know, every single animal had diabetes and needed insulin shots! I could see that testing out his new situation in a play scenario was very healthy.

14. ibusse13

ibusse13 Approved members

This article was so off base. It saddens me that this article is promoting false information. I guess we cannot educate everyone. This was my response to the article.

My daughter is the one who started the petition and I have to say this article is totally off base. It ,however, a great example of the misinformation that is floating around out there. This item is designed specifically for type 1 diabetics (the medical alert bracelet in the kit says so on it). While many believe that type 1 diabetics can be prevented there is no way for anyone to be 100% sure. There are lot of theories out there. My hope is one day that it will be completely preventable. Telling people that they got it from something they did like diet and vaccinations is not helpful and is very rude. People come up to us on a regular basis and share how we could have prevented it, that my daughter ate too much sugar, that we caused it by vaccinating her, etc. Not to mention my daughter gets dirty looks frequently. FYI...Not everyone wants your opinions! Keep your opinions to yourselves because they are NOT helpful and are hurtful. Type 1 diabetics have this disease and it will NOT go away. I know plenty of people with type 1 diabetes who eat organically, aren't vaccinated, and live very healthy lifestyles. These kids feel different and alone. They have to prick their fingers 6-10 times, count the carbs in everything they eat, deal with highs and lows that make them feel horrible and can even cause death, and give themselves insulin via shots 3-6 times or insulin pump stuck to their body 24/7 on a daily basis. This is tough for anyone, but especially children. There is no vacation EVER for them. Though you may not think so having a doll like them IS comforting to them and is not promoting diabetes or a healthy lifestyle. It should be noted that in the past type 1 diabetes was not a problem mainly because it was diagnosed. Before the discovery of insulin and throughout history people didn't know what diabetes was or even how to treat this disease. You can't diagnose a disease you don't know exists!!!! People with the disease simply died. Often very quickly and painfully. American Girl is a business and wants to make a profit. Judging from the fact that this kit sold out the first week in most stores shows that they are making a profit and made a right decision by making this product. I applaud them and other companies who are making toys that reflect children with chronic diseases. They are helping these kids cope with their diseases and doing something positive which is more than I can say about this article.