- advertisement -

Thoughts on Animas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maciasfamily, Apr 3, 2012.

1. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Jess lives in the pool all summer, but we never swim with her pump (we use animas). Swimming makes her BG drop so it works well for us. We just check BG, hook up the pump, give a quick bolus, and then disconnect and off she goes again.

And btw, I said her pump broke in February.... She ran to get in the pool and forgot to take off the pump. I noticed and took it off right after she jumped in. 2 hours later we go to leave and the pump is ruined!!! There was tear in the rubber over the buttons that I didn't realize was there. Unfotunately our warrenty was up about a week before that so they wouldn't replace it.
    We did decide to go with animas again, and they overnighted a loaner pump to use while we went through the process of getting a new pump.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oops. Sorry! I'll stop suggesting that you trial both then, LOL! :p

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

http://www.nzms.co.nz/media/documents/Guide to Using ezBolus.pdf

http://www.nzms.co.nz/media/documents/ANIMAS Resources/Guide to Using ezBG.pdf

http://www.nzms.co.nz/media/documents/ANIMAS Resources/Guide to Using CarbSmart.pdf

I would HATE to not have a back button.. Press OK. If the number does not match, wait for the pump to go sleep and start again.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ouch! I forgot about that silly Leap Year thing. You would think after all the Y2k things companies would be savvy to working around quirky dates.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We don't have to wait to edit. We move the cursor to the error, click ok & change it. No need for a back button.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What do you do if you want to back out of a menu entirely? Say you've changed your mind about bolusing and want to go look at the bolus history first? And then once you've seen what you want to in bolus history, how do you get out of that menu and go in to bolus again?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. momtojess

There is an option to go to main menu. So if you go to bikes and change your mind you just go to main menu.

The meter remote does have a back button but I am sinuses to just going to main menu that I don even use it.

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Is this autocorrect or pump lingo that's over my head? :)

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

My sinuses avoid main menus :D DYAC!

10. BittysMom

11. momtojess

Auto correct. That's what's I get for posting from my phone.

I'm so used to the main menu I don't use the back button the meter remote.

12. momtojess

:rolleyes:

13. BittysMom

Auto correct drives me crazy. Especially because I'm terrible at typing on my iPhone!

14. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

Just one more thought regarding the remote and cgm features. We have only used the omnipod and now ping, so medtronic users please correct me if I am wrong...As far as not needing to fidget through the covers at night to make corrections-if this is important to you-if you have the Revel the cgm number is displayed on the screen of the pump, so you would have to get to his pump at night anyway. I believe with dexcom (it is a separate reciever) you can place it on his nightstand to see his readings. Also, you could talk to your insurance company to see what you are covered for. Medtronic now makes the Mysentry which you coould keep on YOUR nightstand to see his readings, very cool, but I don't think insurance is covering this too often yet. On the other hand, I wanted the Dexcom but our insurance hasn't approved this for us because I am told it is not FDA approved for children and we would have to pay out of pocket for it. so not sure if the cgm stuff is something you are interested in, but if it is just a couple of things to think of.

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

True, but our insurance covered the cost of the Guardian (stand-alone CGM receiver) unit even though we have the Revel. It sits on DS's bedside table, just like a Dexcom receiver would, and at night we look at it rather than looking at the (same) information on his pump screen.

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If you are in the market for a pump, get a hold of each one and hold it in your hand and access some of the functions. This is the best way to determine which is the best fit for you.

17. suz

suz Approved members

My son puts his pump in a spi belt, we have one just for swimming. Or, most boys swim shorts have pockets, so it goes in there. Never an issue :)

18. suz

suz Approved members

We recently had a crack in the casing of our Ping, didn't notice it until we called Animas because the batteries were only lasting a day or 2 and were all corroded. When we took a really close look we could see the crack. The pump worked totally OK. We spoke to Animas at 4pm on a Friday afternoon, by 10am the following morning he was wearing his new replacement pump. Love the customer service.

19. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

How long are the warranties? If it breaks (or something goes wrong) after warranty, does the insurance then cover a new one? I realize all insurance companies are different, but curious if most cover a replacement. We have dual coverage so hoping one or the other, or both will cover them.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Warranties range from 4-5 years. Most pump companies allow replacements/upgrades every 3,4, or 5. The way the warranty is set up most people would be able to get a new pump if something went wrong, they would just have to fill out paperwork for a new pump, because typically most insurances allow for a replacement every 4 years. All depends on your insurance.