- advertisement -

Those who don't use a CGM....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jul 20, 2009.

?

Why doesn't your child wear a CGM?

1. Too expensive/Insurance won't cover

29 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Waiting for pump integration

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Waiting for technology to improve

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Child refuses to wear one

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Don't want another device on my child's body

25 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. Not available where we live

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Other (explain)

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Why not? I'm curious to see the reasons.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Can't get them on the national health service over here, and I can't afford to pay out of pocket.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Just not interested.

4. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

Was told NO, it's used mostly in adults.

I would LOVE to have one for her!

5. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Just starting pump next week. Planning on getting that mastered before we tackle cmg.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava is currently doing a trial of Dexcom. I'm really impressed with the technology and we are going to go ahead and fight the insurance battle. But if we don't get covered, we are not going to pay out of pocket for it.

Also, it's much bigger than I would prefer. When we chose Ava's pump we went with the Ping because of the 0.025 increments and she was so tiny. If the MM had those increments, we would have gone with an integrated pump and tried the cgm much sooner.

Right now we are sort of on the fence about waiting for the Ping integration, or going ahead and getting the CGM now and doing an upgrade when they have integrated.

I am in love with the Dexcom. DH is neutral to positive about it, Ava hates it. The sensor does bother her, and she won't wear the receiver at all. So I've been wearing the receiver and she is grudgingly wearing the sensor, but keeps asking to take it off.

So, I've skewed your poll results. You should have put one that said all of the above.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

LOL! I knew you guys would come up with answers that I never thought of!

Where is Ava wearing her sensor? I think it would bother Jack if we used his arm, but we use his upper bottom area, and I honestly don't think he really notices it.

8. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We don't have one because I don't see the immediate need for it. As Kathy gets older and takes more charge of herself, this might change. I sort of see it as more "stuff" to keep up with, and we have enough to worry about right now.

9. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

I would LOVE for Caelin to have a CGM now, but have decided to wait until she's pumping. While it would be great for detecting lows and gathering BG data, what would I do for the highs? Her range is between 100 and 180, I can't correct a bg of say 240 with a syringe without sending her into a nose-dive. Until then I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that we'll be able to get the insurance to even approve the CGM for her, we just cannot afford to pay out of pocket for it.

10. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel loves his Pod has made life so much easier although I think was was somewhat concerned about it bothering him but so far I cannot convince him to try- he just does not see the benefit yet but I am sure at some point he will especially if the sites get smaller and it is integrated with PDM(if that ever happens) He absolutely refused tubing so that was not an option to get MM

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

That is part of our reason - newly pumping and want to get that squared away, but I also checked 2 others: don't want another device - we barely have enough real estate on either kid for the pump, let alone the cgms; and waiting for pump integration - although MM has the communication part I'd love for it to be closed loop before jumping in. (but I'm not really waiting for that)

12. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Oh, and one more. My endo won't prescribe until you are 7. So travis could have it but Kylie just turned 6.

13. Mfry

Mfry Approved members

We have one and don't use it for a few reasons - we got it when we started pumping with the intention of using it once a month or so to see trends. But, we found it was just another insertion in our daughters little body and I obsessed over it as well :). The sensors are also not covered, which makes them expensive. I think it's a great thing, don't get me wrong....but another insertion, cost and the fact that we didn't find it all that accurate, it is now sitting in our cupboard.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

She's wearing it high on her toosh. She's tiny, so there's not much fat on her. I think it's a bit too high and it's hard for her to get her bottoms off for potty time, and when she jumps and bounces on the couch, she complains about it. I do wish the sensor was smaller. It seems like it could be, the actual transmitter is thin, but the plastic that attaches it to the adhesive is big.
    And when she falls asleep and rolls over on it, we loose the signal.

On the topic of pump starts vs cgms... I'm really impressed with the CGM and it's very easy to use. I would have LOVED to have had one with the pump start. I think it would have made the pump start much easier. The only reason I can think of that they want you to do the pump first is that the sensors aren't completely accurate, and they don't want you making basal decisions based on it. Just a guess though.

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

We did CGM first. We weren't really planning on pumping, but now that we are, I think it's going to make pump-start so much easier. The pump comes tomorrow and I'm saying this without having experienced pumping yet -- but I'd choose CGM over pumping any day. CGM keeps me sane.

16. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

I just do not want another thing to keep up with. In hindsight - now that we no longer are using the smalller basal increments - I would have liked the MM with the CGMS integration if we wanted it - since it displays right on the pump. But Willow already has trouble keeping up with ping meter remote, and now a retainer for her teeth - I just cannot have another expensive device to try to keep up with. maybe with the Ping integrates we will revisit - but for now - as great as I think it would be . . .

17. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I ticked that its not available here. I'm not really sure. I've never heard anything about it here. I also should have checked that we can't afford. I'd have to pay out of pocket, and I can't afford to pay for pump supplies and cgms.

18. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I chose waiting on the technology to improve b/c that's Alex's thoughts right now. If we could have gotten it covered a year + ago, we probably would have gotten it then but now with college, etc, Alex doesn't really want to deal with it and his current endo seems to be suggesting he wait until the technology gets better.

19. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Hot weather and cost are prohibitive to us at the moment. :rolleyes: Between Adin's strong willed behaviour, skin irritation to adhesive in the summer and a new insurance plan we are sitting on the sidelines a little bit longer.

20. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I am almost positive theres CGMS available in NZ. I'm pretty sure Kiwikid's daughter uses a Dexcom? I think the Navigators available too. Doubt theres any coverage for it though. :(