- advertisement -

this is why we test at night

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by wilf, Nov 17, 2011.

1. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have caught similar lows lately around 1-3 a.m. without any unusual activity or food. Puberty has been extremely challenging and I am so glad we night test (right now about 2 times a night).

I hope her stomach bug is short lived. If they don't feel too bad with it---they actually enjoy drinking and eating things without bolusing (a weird break for them).

2. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

So glad you checked, and also so relieved to read from so many parents that this isn't exactly unusual. Haven't hardly been on the board in days because of the over night lows, and difficulty treating them. We've dropped lantus repeatedly, sent her to bed higher, etc. and she's still dropping low middle of the night - but no pattern. If it were the same time that might help, but no. We've charted activity and diet, and still don't see patterns. The other night she was 167 at bed time, and very much in need of sleep I had her eat an uncovered snack. 2 1/2 later she was 216 so I thought all would be well. Nope, and this is where I thank my lucky stars that you all discuss night testing and got me started doing so! She dropped to 58 by the next check. I just kept thinking, what if she hadn't had a snack that night. Erg. The only thing dropping her lantus seems to have accomplished are increasing afternoon / evening highs.

The only things that make sense are noticing an increase in changes due to puberty, and another idea y'all introduced us to - YDMV. I think you just forgot to add that can be from one minute to the next, right? ;)

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

You might think about moving the Lantus to morning. Sounds like it's peaking overnight, which causes those overnight lows..

4. MommaKat

I think I should just take my computer in to our next appointment. This is what I've been saying for months when we talk about the overnight lows, and they tell me I'm wrong. If I take my computer and access their wifi, I can show them that the brilliant parents on CWD, who live this 24/7/365, have been giving me the same suggestion for weeks. You all don't mind,right?

I hope your daughter is feeling better now! Thanks for the suggestion, too.

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I use pixie sticks when I need it to go in fast and in the middle of the night I just say open and pour it in. I am so glad you caught the low. You are doing a great job!

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

I absolutely don't mind. I'd even be happy to speak with them if that would help.

But at this point there is no reason for you to have to wait on them or to persuade them. You can make the change yourself! It is not a big deal, just requires a bit of extra testing for a couple of days - if you want to pursue this let us know and we can walk you through it.. :cwds:

7. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

You might have to put her up against my daughter ;) We use juice for 60-80 at night, but gluc tabs if lower than 60 and banana and/or vanilla pudding for 80-90.

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Our CDE had us do this and it worked wonderfully. Caroline's "low" time became dinnertime and that was perfect because she's always with me.

9. MommaKat

Thank you for posting this experience. For us that would mean Niko's low would occur during swimming. Maybe that's why the endo wasn't supportive? Does anyone have experience with splitting lantus into two doses. I'm sure she'd still have the peak effect, thereby dropping lower, but would it be lessened with a split dose schedule? I don't want to continue the overnight lows, but I also would hate to worsen the evening lows she experiences with swimming (and basketball's right after the short season ends...)

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    Those with teen girls. My hormonal shifts caused large and rapid changes in my insulin needs. I had three monthly levels. Average. An almost doubling of insulin needs-basal and bolus for a few days each month and a reduction of almost half of my insulin needs for 24 hours. If you can track and get a sense of when the change might occur you can be quicker to start adjusting for both the higher and lower needs which helps to reduce the problem overall cause you are not playing catch up. It is harder to do on MDI, especially if you only do one shot of long lasting for 24 hours. Also the drop in insulin needed seemed to happen with a few hours and not a gradual change at all. Good luck. Ali

11. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

That is close to what we see. Problem is that it doesn't follow that pattern for very cycle, just some of the cycles. So, we never know....until it hits. It was the worst about 8 months before the cycles started; those low days were dramatic.

It scares me to think that the shift to the low day would not be always be caught if we didn't test overnight.

For example, on the start of a low day, she might happen to have pizza for lunch, and it would/could look like she bolused just right for the pizza...no highs. But, really, the hormonal lows are being masked by the highs that would have happened from the pizza. So, overnight the lows continue and cause a horrible overnight low. We have seen this... It took months before we realized it.

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

I had a pattern but my cycles were not the same length so prediction was impossible. A pump alone for me was a huge help. But for many years while on MDI I got no help and truly spent a few days each month just shooting up insulin or stuffing my face with food. As I got older I kept wishing for menopause to happen to stop the monthly maddness, yet I knew the longer I put off meni the better it was for my heart. It was a horrible catch 22; which was worse the bad monthly BG due to hormones or the no hormones and the risk to the heart. All I can suggest is find a really good Dr. and I hate to say it but it may need to be a female.Ideally a CGMS would be a great help also. Push, push the Drs, none of my Docs really got it. There are things that can be done to help. :cwds::p:rolleyes:ali

13. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

That could be, makes sense.

14. SusieW

SusieW Approved members

My dd is on a pump now, but right before we switched she was having a similar problem and we split the dose- at our endo's suggestion. We tried a few different times (ranging from 7:00 PM/7:00 AM to 10:00 PM/AM) in order to have the spike be at a convenient time... the hardest part was remembering to take the morning dose when you are used to the one time evening plan. But, other than that, it really helped with the lows at night!
    hope this helps...

15. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

It's 3:30am and she is 67! She went to bed at 300 at 10pm and was still 230 at midnight so I probably over corrected. Glad I set my iPod alarm so I would wake up to check. No more sleep for me!

16. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We can't get middle of the night numbers to be stable - ever. I will never go the night without checking. Last night, for example...PDM said "HIGH." First time I've ever seen that on the Pod. Upon closer examination, DD and I realized together that she forgot to bolus for dinner - which was pasta!! I gave her a five unit injection, and four hours later, at wake-up time, she was back down to 149. Had I not checked in the middle of the night, though, she would have been nasty high like that for another four hours until she woke up, and probably would have been throwing up by then...as it was, she was nauseous and miserable when she woke up.

Whether it's hormones, exercise, or just plain old forgetfulness, there is no way I'll stop overnight checks with this kid!

17. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'm going to start by saying my daughter is only 4 and I know this is the parents of teens section lol but...

I completely agree! I test way more during the night than I'd care to admit ( my poor baby's fingers =( ) but I'd much rather catch a low when it happens then hours after. I barely sleep because I test her so much (she's really insulin sensitive) She's been on the pump for a short time and we're still tweaking her basals so I"ve been getting up more than when she was on lantus

18. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Re-visiting this thread & finding it even more interesting since meeting the new NP at my dd's endo clinic. According to her, we should be able to put dd to bed at 100 & have her wake up at 100....every.single.night. And we should be able to do that while testing a max of 4 times per day, with absolutely no overnight testing...ever.

Clearly she has a lot to learn about CWDs. :rolleyes:

19. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Snort!

And did she explain how to do that? 'Cause I know that we could follow the same schedule, feed the same foods, and dose the same amounts at the same times two days in a row and come out with a rising 250 one night and a falling 80 the next night!

Ignorance like that may be acceptable in a next-door neighbour, a friend, or a school teacher--none of whom you would rely upon to give you the advice you need to keep your child alive, but from a NP at an diabetes clinic? Not good.

20. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Actually, she spent the entire visit critiquing our management skills/decisions. She didn't offer any advice, although I'm sure I would question anything she offered after the ridiculous lack of knowledge she displayed. We won't be seeing her again. In fact, we're researching endo clinics now. Our next appt in July will likely be our last.