- advertisement -

this is why we test at night

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by wilf, Nov 17, 2011.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD went to bed at 11:30 pm, blood sugar 135. Not because I was expecting a problem but because this is what we do, I measured 70 minutes later when I was going to bed. Blood sugar 38! :eek:

Gave her about 18 g of juice, and measured again 20 minutes later - now she's 56. Gave her another 18 g juice, as well as 25 g of cereal and yoghurt - will be testing again shortly.

This came quite unexpectedly. We've been challenged lately by puberty-type fluctuations and overall higher blood sugars - so we had increased the Lantus a few days back. She was on the low side last night, so we dropped Lantus by a unit today. Obviously that wasn't enough.

Let me just say I'm very thankful that we test nights. There are so many tests on so many nights where she's fine and one could say it was a waste of time measuring. But then there's a night like tonight where you catch a bad and unexpected low - and it is all so obviously worthwhile.

I can not believe that there are medical professionals out there who say that Type 1 kids don't need to be tested at night.. :(

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

SCary stuff. I caught an out of the blue 2.8 the other night.. Then again I can catch unexpected highs... :(
    I especially hate the nights when I am so tired and wooly headed but testing must be done..

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Sorry you guys are having a rough night. We are here as well. He had a growth spurt last week (inch and a half) and now that it's over we've been cutting down on the Lantus, but I guess I didn't reduce it enough either. Been through yogurt and a few other snacks tonight. I'm killing time until it's time to test again.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Did she have any extra activity today? Maybe something at school that you weren't aware of?

Also is it poss those fluctuations were rebounds not puberty? Was she having highs and lows?

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Glad you tested!

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Sorry Wilf. I hope the rest of the night was much better. We go through a week of nasty lows every month, & they always start at night. Last month I thought we were seeing an improvement...no lows...but they came back with a vengeance 2 nights ago, right on schedule. It amazes me how many carbs it can take to bring them up.

Our endo actually said he was relieved we're so vigilant with the night testing, & said it may be necessary for a while. He mentioned something about increased estrogen but we had so much to discuss that I didn't get to ask more detailed questions.

7. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

So sorry and thank goodness you caught it.

8. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Yes, thank goodness you caught it. You are not alone - we had the same problem last night. DS went to bed at 130, no IOB, tested him at 3 am (I usually wake up earlier, but for some reason I didn't wake up until my DD woke me because she was in pain from her new braces). Tested him - 51! No extra activity, nothing. He is going camping with his Dad on Friday and I am getting really nervous that neither of them will wake up to test him in the middle of the night. I will definitely use this as an example.

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

If anyone can figure it out, you will Wilf. Glad you caught it. I have found that liquid or gel Dex works much better and much quicker than juice for those lows. It would take a 1/2 hour to see any improvement using juice (and usually lower numbers before higher). DD hated Dex when she was younger, but I am relieved she likes it now. Once the number starts to turn around, I can give juice for the rest of the correction. Gary Scheiner does not even list juice as a treatment for lows.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Same here. Juice just isn't fast enough for me to treat bad lows.

11. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

And I caught a 47 last night at 1:30 am est.... I knew it, I turned on the light, he was sweaty and white as a ghost...

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Turns out she has a stomach bug - she went low after breakfast, and hasn't needed a bolus since..

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good point about the juice. We've never seen a low where she didn't respond right away to juice, but I learned from last night's experience..

14. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

I am a faithful night tester as well...

Ever since diagnosis ( which seems like forever ago ) I've tested at night. My daughter is an extremely active athlete. She's a fastpitch pitcher and volleyball player and a post in basketball. My daughter is about the same age as yours, Wilf and I can share another thing to keep an eye on. Your mileage may vary.

The 3-4 days leading up to her period and a day or 2 into it, she seems to need about 1/2 of the insulin she normally needs at night. All night long...She uses the pod so I just temp basal her.

Right now she's going through high school basketball tryouts -- 3 hrs a day, finishing around 8:00 at night. The impact of this activity is staggering. She goes on a 0 basal for practice, drinks a juice just before if she's below 130 or so and comes home around 225-300. She drops like a rock a couple hours later like clockwork and then needs about 40% less at night right now. We have not spanned her time of the month yet for these practices but I'm sure I'm in for a real treat!

I'll do anything for my kid, though. Her endo thinks we don't have to test at night...maybe for some kids but not my Maddie-cakers!

Now here's the worst part. My darn dog. He sleeps in the mud room WAY downstairs and when he hears footsteps he starts rhythmically ramming himself into the door. He's just a little rat terrier but he makes an absolute racket until you come get him and let him under the covers in bed. He doesn't always do this -- he seems to sense when I'm the most tired or least interested in dealing with him. He's a determined dog so it will not stop ( analogy let him cry it out -- ummm no ) until you get him. He ALWAYS does it when I get up for the day around 4:00. He seems to remember, the 2nd time I hear footsteps I get to go out so the door ramming begins. Unfortunately, sometimes I get up twice at night with Maddie and so it might be 2:30AM.

I am glad to hear there are others who check every night because I just can't imagine another way. We used to do the dexcom but that thing was so inaccurate for us and quite frankly, my daughter didn't like it, that is woke me up alarming when there was no problem whatsoever.

Someday...there will be a reliable CGM that will let us sleep through the night. Hopefully it will be around by the time she's in college!

15. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

One more thing...

My daughter has an amazing talent.

She can drink a juice without waking up and can be tested in the fingers without waking up. She never remembers me coming in.

Also, if there was a juice box drinking race, I would put her up against ANYONE.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

We're starting to find that juice isn't bringing Cameron up as quickly anymore as well. Perhaps it's an age thing. :confused: Just another curve ball in the life of D. ;)

17. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We are seeing the same issue with juice. It used to work just fine, but not anymore.

18. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

So glad you tested. :cwds:

19. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Only sunshine and rainbows allowed here!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  20. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Totally agree with you Wilf. I have to check or test later we have the same things. We have had 50 later at midnight after having a good bedtime number.
    These puberty ups and lows are the pits.

I also agree with Emma that for bad lows we use glucose tablets or liquid glucose. The juice always takes more than 20 minutes if a bad low it seems.