- advertisement -

This Is Reasonable,Right(school related)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Dec 10, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Yes,this was a big sticking point because they wanted and were having her go to the nurse for every check,most days it was 2-3,but it has been as high as 5. That is a lot of missed class time

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Well, if the nurse wants to go to her (not the other way) then let her. The nurse will absolutely tire of the whole process in a week and will deem her able to do it on her own.

Like others have said, make it very clear that Sophie will test and treat before the nurse arrives if she's low and that if the nurse doesn't arrive within a few minutes she will also test and treat.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

^^^ I like this, especially the former, is spot on. But so is the latter... I guess I just agree with the whole post :p

4. wearingtaci

We have have been fighting from the beginning of the year to get the nurse to come to Sophie,or to let her do it on her own. At home she can absolutely ask for help,but she doesn't as she would much rather do it herself.
    I really think this is the nurse trying to bully us into managing our daughter the same way they manage her grandkids.
    What we want is for Sophie to test and treat as discreetly as possible,and I'm not sure having to wait for the nurse to arrive,then get up and step behind a screen to test and treat is the right way. It seems like the nurse is wanting to make a bigger deal out of all this then needs to be

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Well, do not make this a battle between you and the nurse/school.

Get the ADA involved. We can give helpful advice, but the ADA has an arsenal of resources to ensure this issue is resolved.

I think this issue is going to come down to doctor's orders (and how they are written and worded) and how the ADA is going to help you with the issues involved. The nurse can supervise, but they will not be able to force your child to go some place to test. That is not the "least restrictive environment" given the nature of your child's disability. I am outraged for you that this nurse is making such a big deal about supervision when unlicensed, volunteering laypersons draw up and administer insulin to children with diabetes all the time.

I do not know how your child would not know what he or she was doing, especially when the using aids (phone or bolus calculator) to make decisions.

It's pretty out there, when you think about different situations, for her to want to do this. Even for a nurse who has to keep a license, it's pretty out-of-line.

6. redraider

redraider New Member

I fought for my 9 year old daughter to test in the classroom and self bolus without any supervision. The school has NO nurse. My daughter is very responsible and did not want to go the office where the secretary and principal are clueless about diabetes care. Her endo was not happy that I wanted her to be able to bolus herself and stated that in writing to the school, but with a statement to "do as parents requested".

We need to stick up for our children. We know if they are capable of testing and bolusing. I want my child to be healthy and I check her meter and pump to make sure every thing has been done correctly. She is doing AWESOME and I am so proud of her.

7. indiancreekmom

indiancreekmom Approved members

Sara
    I'm starting a support group for parents of Type 1's in Goshen, IN. in January and this is one of the topics I want to cover. Would you be interested in coming and talking about your experience? PM me if interested.

8. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

To the OP, I didn't read all the replies yet.

In CT, our school nurse has to sign off saying that the student is able to self-administer and test - regardless of what the endo or parent says.

As crazy as that sounds it is true, and boy did our old school nurse follow it to the T. It was an enormous battle to get my son to be able to do things himself.

9. wearingtaci

I sent you a PM