- advertisement -

Thinking of getting rid of Cabrio washer. Thinking about a Speed Queen

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, May 10, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Thinking of getting rid of HE machine Cabrio washer. Thinking about a Speed Queen

I bought a top loader HE Whirlpool Cabrio just a couple of years ago. Seems smelly all the time, towels don't smell clean, have to wash camping clothes twice to get them clean.I do the clean cycle once a month now but before the month is over it smells again. I always leave lid open when done. Read user reviews on Speed Queen. People seem to like these with no problems.
    Or is there a HE machine that you have that doesn't get the musty smell?

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. Diana

Diana Approved members

Ooooh. We ditched our front loader that I HATED for a Speed Queen and I love it. Love, love, love it. Simple to use, fast cycles, clean clothes, no musty smell.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We have Kenmore HE washer and it never smells. It also cleans very well. Before we bought it I did some research on line and many people, though not all, do have that problem with HE washers which seems to be true regardless of what US brand one has. European washers do not seem to have this problem.

I did have to have a repair once because some tube inside had gotten soap scum build up even though we used HE detergent. It was an expensive repair and now I only use homemade soap. Far far cheaper and no scum.

All along I had heard that this smell issue was only a problem for front loaders and lo and behold here you are with a top loader and are having that problem.

From what I gather somewhere in the machine there is some lint, hair, gunk, whatever that has built up and that is where the smell lives. Every comment I saw about it said that people had tried everything to wash it out and could not rid the smell. Until you find the gunk the smell will return.

good luck.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is yours a HE top load or front load? How old is it?

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

It is a front load, about three years old.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have a top loader that requires us to do a monthly clean. You use something like Afresh, run it through the clean cycle (super hot water) and it breaks down any buildup. Have never yet had an odor issue...unlike the front loader.

7. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I'd go the speed queen. I would like to have one again, myself.

We have a front loader HE and it smells of mildew. I've tried everything I've read online and I've even taken out everything I could and found nothing to cause it.

I will say this, however. For a while I was the only one doing laundry (just worked out that way), and I only use natural "soap" laundry soap. My husband likes the detergents. The smell went away while there was no detergent going through it... but now that he's doing laundry again, it smells again.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but it's one that makes me heave ye big ol' sigh.

The clothes came cleaner with the soap, too. :p

(Yes, he started laundry again this week and yes, it smells again already... thus post now but not before. :rolleyes: )

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I have a Speed Queen and would never buy anything else. And may never need to. Save yourself a few bucks and go with the one WITHOUT the extra rinse cycle switch. It's just a bell or whistle that is not really needed.

Another thing I've been meaning to do is make my own laundry soap and that should work very well with the Speed Queen too. From what I hear, you can make your own soap really cheap.