- advertisement -

thinking NOT D related, would like opinions

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sam1nat2, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

We went up to the mountains, had a great time. Sam managed to scare me half to death:eek:
    Yesterday, went snow tubing in the morning, it got too cold, so we got a raincheck. Went back to condo, had lunch. Sam was a bit high before lunch, but with the big kid party going on and junk food fest, I didn't think twice.
    We went in the hot tub and then Sam asked to play basketball, I said fine.

He comes over to me looking funny saying he feels very low and is 116:confused: Figuring he was dropping fast, I said have something to eat. He started getting confused, so I put him in a chair, he turns white as can be. I have my friend stand there and run and grab candy and then run back to car to get $$ for vending machine to get coke.

Sam then looks as if he's going to pass out, I yell to my friend to make him drink and that I was going to go grab glucagon, he then starts vomiting.

Then, he's fine. I said check BG, he was then 440:confused: I called endo in a panic, they said didn't sound like a low, sounded like dehydration.

He was fine rest of night and today, no more vomiting, but he did have a bit of a headache last night. Numbers were fine too.

Any ideas???

Something similar happened a few years ago, I remember it was a super hot day and he hadn't had anything to drink, think it was a low blood pressure/dehydration, which this could have been too.

I've never seen him act like that when he's low---ever!! we are over 5 years into this and I've seen him go down to the 30's and never act like that. He's also not a puker, think the last time he puked was 4 years ago??

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

That sounds crazy scary! I have no idea what it could be but it sounds like you handled it well. Let's hope this is the last time he does something like this again.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Sounds a lot like dehydration to me. Glad he is feeling better now.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Analisa, has Sam ever had low blood pressure before when it was checked? I ask because people that have had low blood pressure will sometimes have this reaction to being in high humidity or a hot tub. It makes the blood pressure drop very rapidly and will make a person feel like they are going to pass out. If this is so with Sam he probably had a big release of adrenaline too causing the high and the vomiting. Ive read that staying well hydrated if your going in a hot tub and not moving too quickly can help with those symptoms. Ive had problems in high humidity due to mitral valve prolapse which can make my blood pressure plummit

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

To me it sounds like heat from the hottub, combined with outside temps and dehydration. Rachel gets like that when she keeps adding hot water to the bath and overheats herself, then she feels ill and is pale when she gets out..
    We went to the local hotpools once where they keep the pool temp at 37 celcius and she vomited and did the same thing..

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Also hot tub related, hot tubs drop BS like a rock - especially after a bolus. SSSSOOO - it could have been a low and the meter just hadn't caught up or it could have been a VERY sudden drop and he had already rebounded up some...or he just had such a sudden drop that his body was tricked into releasing the low physical response.

7. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

It really could have to do with the heat and low blood pressure. I have pretty low blood pressure regularly and hot tubs can get to me sometimes where I feel like I am going to pass out. He could have even puked because of the rapid BS spike from his adreneline rush. So I guess initial problem could have been non-d and then the d came into play??? Just a thought.

8. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

How often do you guys go to the mountains, and what was the altitude where you were at? My first thought, altitude sickness. I've lived in CO for 15 years now, but I do still suffer from altittude sickness if I travel to certain locations depending on how high up it is. The very first time it happened I was probably 10 years old or so, and had very similar symptoms. It was very scary, but happened in the middle of the night for me.

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

About low blood pressure: once I was taking a hot shower and suddenly felt awful, like I was about to pass out. I jumped out of the shower, grabbed my meter and tested and was like 152 or something. It scared me to death since I wasn't low, and I FELT LIKE IT. I called my mom, and while I was on the phone, I started throwing up. I drank some water and eventually felt fine.

When I went to the NP, she seemed to think it was low blood pressure.