- advertisement -

Thinking about buying a Frio, have questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I finally Googled Frio after seeing so many people mention it. I am definitely going to buy one, but I need some advice. Ds is on MDI and uses disposable Novolog and Humalog pens. The main reason we would need a Frio is an upcoming week long trip. We will be taking opened, room temperature pens, but will need to also take unopened that have been in the frig. Would it be better to put the opened pens in a Frio and the unopened in a cooler with an ice pack to keep it colder? Also, do you keep your test strips in a Frio to keep them from getting overheated?
    Thanks,
    Jenny

2. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Yes, I would keep unopened pens in a cooler that is fridge temp to keep it fresh. Frio is good for the opened ones to keep them at a level temp whether it is hot or cold, also good for meters & strips. I have new frios I have been using for running around Atlanta in the heat esp at the pool. Its amazing how hot it is here this summer. Just found out a couple days ago meters can get too hot too so keeping it in the Frio for running around too. Have fun!

3. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

i just remembered someone on here about a month ago posted about a thermometer they found, maybe on amazon? that would be good for making sure unopened insulin would stay properly chilled- maybe it was wilf? It seems like it was a guy. Anyway of any one can find that pls post it, it will be good as summer vacay is coming up for us and many others I am sure.