advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you need to know when heading to the hospital

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by WestinsMom, Oct 10, 2009.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

The Children's we were dx at was affiliated with our endo. His office is right next door and as far as I could tell, we were on a diabetic ward. I could hear kids crying in the night as they were woken for fingerpricks. I'll never forget that :(
    That made the nurse all the more scarey.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

The Children's we were dx at was affiliated with our endo. His office is right next door and as far as I could tell, we were on a diabetic ward. I could hear kids crying in the night as they were woken for fingerpricks. I'll never forget that :(
    That made the nurse all the more scary. That we were on a diabetic floor and she was clueless about insulin.

3. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

I second both of these..

4. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I try to keep all of my supplies (with the exception of extra insulin that has to stay cold) in a small plastic tote with a handle that I can grab and go in any emergency situation...because I know in an emergency, I'll be lucky to find my keys much less think about details.

I also try to keep all of his medical details, healthcare provider numbers, health conditions, current ratios, etc. updated in a word document and make sure that daddy has a copy, my mother (his grandmother) has a copy and his school has a copy so if necessary, one of them can talk to the endo's office, pharmacy or whoever else we may need to be talking with if I am not able to at any given time...

I have not yet been back for a hospital visit and I hope that I won't have to but I did have a friend to tell me to make sure to tell EVERYONE who walks into his room that he has type 1 diabetes EVERY TIME they walk in (even if you sound crazy).