- advertisement -

Things that make you go... hm. I might be old.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by BozziesMom, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Not to highjack the thread, but that is a really good looking photo of Tom Mama C.:)

I draw the line at legwarmers. My daughters are under threat of bodily harm if they come home from the mall with legwarmers (although I had a nice collection when I was their age :rolleyes:).

Frizzy hair is in with the boys here. There is a boy in my neighborhood with the wildest blonde afro atleast 18 in. high. I wish I had a photo. I bet he's waited his whole life for his hair to be "in".

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

My 8 year old wanted a typewriter for Christmas. They are now novelty items. I remember typing my college papers on them; that makes me a dinosaur. I remember "dumb" computer terminals and those Wang systems that took up an entire room.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I feel very old sometimes. One time was at Christmas with my extended family. Someone was passing something around and we were all reading it. I think all but one of my siblings had to pull out reading glasses to read it (I borrowed my brother's) and my nephew said, "Do ALL of you wear glasses now?!?"

Then the other time was when I took Alex to visit colleges. We went to my alma mater and on the tour they said, 'The campus is divided into 3 sections: The new campus, the old campus, and the ancient campus.' I whispered to Alex, 'they only had the new and the old campuses when I went here' (meaning, they are making this up) and he said, 'yes mom, b/c you went here when the ancient campus was new!'

4. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

"Uh Oh! Spaghettios!" I found myself saying this to my boys when I made them spaghettios yesterday and they looked at me like I'd lost my mind. :eek: I forget that they've probably never heard that jingle anywhere but from me, and I can't remember the last time I actually saw it or heard it on TV.

That and the fact that I can remember that there used to be more than one "cook" on the Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal box. :rolleyes:

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

"Spaghettios" are mentioned (is mentioned?) in Martina's McBride's song, "This One's For the Girls." And it cracks me up when I hear my 20-year old singing along!

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

"The neat new spaghetti you can eat with a spoon..."

7. CButler

CButler Approved members

Ugh! My dad gave my brother and me spaghettios all through Kindergarten for lunch. (We're twins.)

How DO you spell it? The spell check isn't helping.

spaghetioes
    spaghettioes
    spagetios

?????

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It's Spaghettios;) I had a can in the cupboard, with sliced franks too LOL Their MINE:D

9. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Having to grab my glasses for everything, even eating, so that I can see clearly. Knees popping when I squat to grab something under the sink and then have to clutch the cabinet to pull myself up. A president of the United States 5 months younger than me. Gray hair in places where it shouldn't be -- eyebrows, etc. Getting old stinks.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Warning! Hijack!:eek:

Ear-warmer watchamacalits ( you know, warm headphones:D) are so back in style here:eek:
    Hated those things back in the 80s.:rolleyes:

11. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I went to a 30th anniversary celebration for my high school. The team picture from my sports teams were still on the wall. Realizing that the kids who were there at the event weren't even born yet, yep, I feel old!!!

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think the real hint that one is getting old is reserving Thursdays for....you know....the deed:eek:
    Worse if one actually writes it down on the calendar:eek:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  13. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Its mentioned on a Simpson's episode, so I am familiar with it, but I never knew it was from an ad jingle!

14. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

I used to babysit for the guy who's now my boss during PTO meetings at school.

That, and the fact that another gal who I work with was the very first person I ever babysat for - when she was 3 weeks old. She now has her own baby!

I also found out the other day that 2 of the gals I went to school with are now grandmas!! And my only child is just 10!!

I'm really feeling old here!

15. trisha

trisha Approved members

my kids wanted to know what name I should as my email address when I was their age....

I have "reading" glasses in many rooms of the house and a spare in the car.

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I had meant to comment on the record play thing - I remember one christmas, my BIG present was a record player with fm radio AND a cassette player. I used to put a blank tape into the cassette and sit there for hours waiting for a good song to come on the radio - and then tape it - so I'd have a tape of my favorite songs. 1980's napster. LOL. I still have one tape I made on that christmas day. I wish I could play it. lol

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My girls were appalled when:
    I told them we only got 5 channels, 6 on a clear day and the signal for channel 5 in NYC was strong enough to reach us.

My brother and I would fight over who got up to change the channel

We had a black and white tv

Cartoons were only on Sat mornings until 11. During the week, it was PBS.

They call their 92 year old great-grandfather "a classic" or "an antique!" He cracks them up with his "in my day stories." You know the ones, he had to walk 5 miles up hill in the snow, had to kill a bear with his notebook kind of stories!

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Does anyone remember this? It was "the thing" to have in the early 80's! I still have my Sean Cassidy 8 tracks at my parents:D

[​IMG]

19. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

haha ha :D

I just keep moving one pair around in the house and make sure I keep one pair in my purse. :p

20. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

DS is taking a History of the Beatles class as an elective. Extra credit if he can find someone who actually saw the Beatles in concert. He was struggling with this one as he didn't think he knew anyone that old.

OMG - it was me - I saw them in '66 at Dodger Stadium (albeit I was pretty young but still loved Paul)