- advertisement -

Things that make you go... hm. I might be old.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by BozziesMom, Jan 29, 2009.

1. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I don't feel terribly old, but a couple things have hit the last couple of days that are messing with my head. First, I have seen on here the 80s themed parties. Now my 12 year old has been invited to a party "Dancing to the 80s" So my youth has now fallen so far into the past that it's become a "theme." :eek: Add to that an ad I saw in the pennysaver yesterday "antique am/fm radio with record player for sale" Ok. Antique. FM. I remember when the FM radios starting coming bundled with AM and record players. I was on the planet for that. Now it's "antique" :eek::eek::eek:

Give me strength.

2. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

My kids sing songs from the 80s at school. That makes me feel old. Especially when they tell me about a song and when I work out that it came out 20 years ago or whatever.

3. CButler

CButler Approved members

Yes, my older kids think I'm ancient. My 6 year old laughed and laughed when I said I used to listen to the Bee Gees. She doesn't know who they are, it just sounded funny!:rolleyes:

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Getting up everyday makes me KNOW I'm old.

5. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I remember the Bee Gees I really liked that group. The other night my DH turned on a channel on tv and it said oldies country and I knew alot of the songs playing on it they werre new when I used to listen to them.

6. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

I know what you mean, my 8 year old asked what a pay phone was when he saw it. They all think it's crazy when I tell them we had no cable, VHS, or DVD when I was a kid.

It was my dd turning ten that first freaked me out, but it happens more and more. Telling folks my older brother is 40 something, movies I saw new are now the New American Classics, Madonna has now had a 20+ year career? WTH?

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

You are all so young yet! It makes me laugh when they call music from the 80's and 90's oldies. To me oldies are the songs from the 50's and very early 60's.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I went to a reunion dinner last Friday with ex work colleagues. We had dinner, talked and laughed. A great time.
    Left at around 1am...was a zombie the whole weekend:eek:
    I've lost my party genes:(

9. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I feel old...at 11pm...I turn into a sleeping pumpkin !!!;)

10. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Years ago, in our hey day, my friend and I used to go nightclubbing Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
    We used to always laugh at the 'older' people in the club, sitting in the dark corners, perving at all the young gals or guys.

Fast forward to now. We go out night clubbing about once a year. WE are now the 'older' ones in the dark corners, checking out the young men! Now the young ones are whispering and pointing at us, mutton dressed as lamb and thinking of ourselves as being pretty cool!

And to add insult to injury, by 11pm we are both yawning and ready to go home! No more 6am finish for us:(

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Hey - I got a wicked cute 80's outfit your kid can borrow :D

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hmmm, less hair on my legs:D BUT, more on my upper lip:eek: At least it's blonde LOL

13. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

We had an eye-opening experience when we realized the President is now younger than DH. He also got an AARP application in the mail since he'll be turning 50 in March. :eek:

14. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

DH brought it to my attention last night that I had asked him to "turn" the channel on the TV. He informed me that saying "turn the channel" is outdated because we no longer have knobs on tvs that we use to turn the channel. We now "change" or "switch" the chanel with the remote. :rolleyes:

WHATEVER!!!

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I love this resurgence of the 80's. Let the big hair come back. !!! the frizzy in me has been patiently waiting for 20 years for big hair to come back. and then....and then....I will let it all grow out and let it go big! I may even get a perm again! LOL. My day will come!

and nothing like those long sweaters coming back - love hiding in those. and skinny jeans. I adore skinny jeans.

ok, but I draw the line at leg warmers. My daughter is all of a sudden all into leg warmers. uggh. and leggings. forget it. I will never put on another pair of leggings!

16. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

HAHAHA - I know EXACTLY what you mean! Whenever we go out I start yawning at like 11ish..... And then all I can think is 'man I'm old - lets go home!' hahah. :rolleyes:

17. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

You know your getting older when you need PROGRESSIVE lenses in your glasses you know the same thing as bifocals :eek:

18. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Hello? Try going from single vision rarely as needed, straight to progressive trifocals. Cuz you know there are sooooo many cute frames out there that can handle trifocals. Not.

19. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Oh wow..Our eyes may be old but I do not feel as old as my eyes..:rolleyes:

But at the eye doctor's place they showed me many, many different frames that can handle progressive lenses, including trifocals..You need to come down here next time you need new glasses.

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I'll have to Keep that in mind. My guy had like, one pair. Two if you count my sunglasses.