- advertisement -

Things that have helped, but...

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mariaweber, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I think you and your girl are doing a great job! :) My DD is 13 and in the midst of puberty and the diabetes management is not easy at all. :eek: My DD is not a competitive runner, but she used to be a hardcore dancer, and I found that it was way harder to control her BG on days were she was dancing the whole day. She is still very active, but not on that extreme level (we never knew how intense it would be at any given day) and it made things a little easier.

So with her being the great runner she is, on one hand she is more sensitive to insulin, but on the other hand it is another factor that makes the daily management more complicated.

2. jozic

jozic Approved members

We had similar problem. Sarah's insulin TDD doubled in six months period. I finally convinced her to switch sites from her legs to tummy. She was also competitive trampolinist and she didn't want to use tummy because she doesn't have any fat. Immediately after switch her numbers improved big time. So, for us was definitely absorption problem.

3. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

Sofie's legs are like rocks. She has always used the upper bum (pocket) area and/or the tummy and had pretty good luck as long as we circulate.

4. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I have a few thoughts. Your daughter sounds muscular, lean. Insulin needs to be absorbed into fat, so where are her sites usually located? Ab has better results when her abdomen is used, next best when arms are used. We are having trouble with post breakfast spikes followed by rapid drops.I was thinking about raising the breakfast basal to help with the spikes, but at the endo yesterday we were told to reduce the basal before breakfast and decrease the I:C ratio from 1:7 to 1:5. Only one day into it, but today went pretty well.

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Sorry, I just read your post about where your daughter puts her sites.

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

Are you working with a sports nutritionist who works regularly with diabetics? My daughter(14) and son (20)both have post exercise highs which last for 2-3 hours then come crashing down to "normal" with no extra insulin....it is hard to see 16-18's and NOT correct them but if we do correct, then we are chasing lows for quite a while.
    One thing I was told by a sports nutritionist is to look at what they ate 24 hours before the activity-She said you have to be sure to replace the "glucose stores" in the muscles after exercise otherwise the body start dumping glycogen out of the muscles next time the child exercises - you need to supply 1-2 g carb per kg body weight within 30 minutes of the exercise and it must also include protein and some fat ( eg if desperate, we use chocolate milk or if we are organized we make smoothies to drink after skating )...not sure if you are doing something like this but for us it has worked wonders. Still getting the post exercise highs but at least the rest of the day is fairly steady - Makes for crappy A1C's due to the periodic post exercise highs but they feel great, have maybe 1 low per week max and have way more energy.

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thanks for the ballpark figure. When you are playing trial and error you make massive mistakes. Our dietitian had only mentioned daily amounts,