- advertisement -

'Things I wish I knew when starting the pump'

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by destea1, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

The easiest way to take the site off if you have a kid that is sensitive (like mine) is to get a bottle of De-solv-it. It is safe to spray on skin and works so well and is so cheap compared to other removers. I buy ours at ACE hardware store believe it or not and it lasts forever. Just spray it on the old site and wait a minute or two and then the site peels off super easy.
    Here is a link: http://www.orange-sol.com/retailers.htm

2. destea1

destea1 Approved members

Nice!! Thanks WendyB :)

Ahh... temp basals... these sound helpful (as long as you do it the right way right? ;) ).

Still feeling pretty nervous about the change, but after a week of nice numbers she's running high again, so I guess there isn't that big of a difference in learning something new vs changing the way you do it constantly anyway to address growth/sickness/ etc. I need to suck it up and go with it.

I think I'm most nervous about the highs and it being easier to go to DKA. I rarely have to ever test for keytones right now because she has lantus on board and never has any. It's going to be a shift in our mindset for sure.

Thanks again everyone for participating here, it's so helpful to read this stuff!

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would highly recommend looking into getting a CGM. We usually catch bad sites long before ketones have started. Only once in 9 months has she run ketones, and it was because I contributed the high to the wrong thing and didn't check per the flow chart. The CGM is a huge game changer. It allows me to relax and her to not have to think diabetes as much, knowing that she's alarmed. Other parents have posted about their kids forgetting to bolus; mine has been forgetting to eat after bolussing. Having her alarmed so that she doesn't get too low takes a lot of pressure off of both of us right now with the teen-brain fog going on.