- advertisement -

They forgot to check her (school)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tweety8, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, this is nuts. We have three people who are responsible for seeing that Jack gets to the nurse when he needs to: Jack, his teacher, and the nurse. EACH ONE has primary responsibility for making sure that he gets there. So Jack needs to remember, his teacher needs to remind him, and if those two fail, the nurse needs to call up to the room or go find him. There's none of this, "It's not my responsibility" crap. It's each one of their responsibility, and they all work together to make sure it happens.

Your daughter is in kindy, so she should not have any responsibility at this point. The teacher and the nurse need to share that job equally. Ugh. This makes me so mad on your behalf. I hope that you call the ADA and that they can send someone out to help you. I wish I lived closer.

2. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

This was our set-up in elementary school too. Yes, they have lots of kids to take care of - so what? That's what the job is about.

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

That was our set up last year as well. But I cannot understand what these people are thinking expecting a little one to remember. This situation really is maddening! OP I hope you are feeling better today and able to get the ball rolling on writing letters and making calls on Monday.

4. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

I don't have any advice that has not already been giving. I hope that you are able to come to some resolution with the school and that your daughter is able to be safe while there.

5. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

For your daughter sake, and for your peace of mind, I hope you get this situation resolved so that your daughter is taken care of properly while at school. I'm so sorry you have to go through this craziness!

6. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Thank you to EVERYONE for all these replies. They are helping me so much. I am printing them out so I can formulate an organized letter, leaving nothing out.

I cannot express how badly Friday's situation set me back, emotionally. My husband doesn't want to send her back on Monday. He wants to homeschool so she's always safe. But, I feel that she thrives in her school setting and is with 6 of our neighborhood kids on that particular classroom. She really loves it. So what to do? I also feel that I need to pave the way for type-1 education in this school. What if next year there is a child w/ diabetes there? Maybe what is going on now, will help future students. Of course, I never want DD to get hurt in the process. I feel totally beat up and am dreading Monday.

The only thing that's keeping my chin up just a bit is the JDRF Walk tomorrow :)

You are all wonderful. Many thanks, and I'll definitely let you know what takes place this week. (I do agree that I've made it too
    easy for them, but I think it's from my fear that this new nurse has only worked in an ER before this job and never worked with a child and her pump before)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  7. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

I find this situation so upsetting. I'm very sorry this has happened and for the nurse to pass the buck, inexcusable.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

That is probably the reason she no longer works in an E.R.!

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Kristin, you CAN do this! I know this has been completely frustrating and demoralizing to you, but I have every confidence that you can march in there on Monday and set these people straight.

I'd spend a good amount of time today planning out how you're going to handle this. I think if it was me, I'd take the "team approach" angle. What I mean by that is I'd probably lead with something like, "Okay, so there have been quite a few bumps in the road so far, and here's my plan so that we can all make sure that Frankie is taken care of at school. Step 1: When there is a scheduled blood sugar check, it is Teacher's responsibility to remind Frankie to go to the nurse. If Frankie doesn't arrive at the nurse's office within 10 minutes of a scheduled check, it is Nurse's responsibility to call down to the room or otherwise go and find Frankie. Step 2: When there is a classroom treat, it is Teacher's responsibility to inform Nurse of that as soon as the treat is received so that Nurse can look at the treat and call me if necessary to help determine carb count over the phone. About 5 minutes before the treat will be served, it is Teacher's responsibility to send Frankie to Nurse to be dosed for the treat. (Or maybe you dose after...you get the drift.) And continue on down your list of situations. Hopefully this will get them to realize that EVERYONE needs to step up here. It's not about blame. It's about making sure that a little 5 year old girl is safe and healthy at school.

I think the reason that our school situation works so well is that there is never any argument about whose responsibility Jack's care is. It is the SCHOOL'S responsibility, and everyone from the principal to the teacher to the nurse to the noon aides to the librarian on down has a role to make sure that he is safe and well-cared for. This "passing the buck" crap has to stop.

Good luck! I know you can do it!

10. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

The teacher needs to know 2 very basic rules: 1. No Food Without
    Insulin. 2. She also needs to know the symptoms of a low and what to do to help. It seems she can't handle any more than that. Please make sure she realizes how sick your daughter was from eating that snack without insulin. (Pretzels and juice of all things!)

The nurse (nurses???-never heard of more than one in a school): Her very job is to manage the glucose checks while your daughter is at school. Once she is trained she should be giving the bolus too. Everything in the medical plan is her responsibility. How is it that there is even a question of whose responsibility it is? Of course it is the nurse's responsibility.

Wow, I don't blame you for being angry and worried. I hope you are making it known to the principal how badly they are failing your daughter. I hope this gets taken care of on Monday.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I so angry on your behalf:mad::mad: and can just imagine how much you must be fuming. You do have the law behind you, and the school must be made to realize they are not living up to their legal obligation to provide a safe school environment for your child. They will be in deep doo doo if they don't get their act together. Everyone there just seems astonishingly blase' about your child's health and welfare. Have you asked how they would feel if it was their child or grandchild getting such non-care??? It is their job to care for your child during school hours...not yours to be running back and forth and having to prompt them to get their butts in gear. (Although, no criticism to you in this...you are doing what you need to do. It is the school I am referring to!:rolleyes:)

Good luck with your letters...I would be sending them to everyone and their brother!;) Principal, superintendent, ADA, JDRF, school board....

I am so sorry this is happening.:( Make as much noise about this as you can!! You have tried polite and understanding...I would be on the warpath now!:mad: Let us know how it goes.

12. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Yes, when this happens, it is so upsetting. And it can't continue to happen so calling in is one option. We've had issues with the teacher remembering to test at certain times so we set up alarms on T's pump. The nurse who is at school 2 1/2 days a week suggested a watch with a timer but DH decided the pump is just as good (and we know it won't get lost!). T is on a Revel...I see that you are using Animas. I'm guessing the Animas has alarms, too. Maybe setting pump alarms will help, too. Good luck.