- advertisement -

The word "diabetic"

Discussion in 'Teens' started by ctwetten, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and am now a freshman in college. I wanted to ask you all what you thought about the word diabetic. Does it bother you? I absolutely hate it! I feel like it limits me to a disease even though I know that people don't mean it like that. I think I might just be over-sensitive to the issue but I don't know because I've never really met and gotten to know anyone else who has diabetes (except for one of my mom's friends who's very intense.)
    Anyway, please let me know your thoughts and feelings about the term "diabetic." Thanks!

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Well, I guess I don't really mind it, but it does bother me. I mean, you never hear of a hemmoroidic or a heart-attackic, or anything else like that! It also kinda makes me feel like there's something wrong with me, like it's my fault. Someone who has a problem with alcohol, an alcoholic, a problem with drugs and such, narcotic. So it does bother me in that sense. If given the choice, I would rather be someone who has diabetes.

3. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I totally hate the term diabetic. Why do we have to get singled out? Plus, what's up with calling foods diabetic? Do they also have diabetes????:rolleyes: And a diabetic bracelet would be a bracelet that is on insulin? LOL........Gimme a break........

4. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

The term "diabetic" really doesn't bother me all that much. What does bother me is BEING diabetic. Most of the time I can let it by me and just blow it off. but... ...I have those times where I totally HATE being diabetic. I really do. Cause I AM different. Because I have to get a note from my doc saying I can do a PE thing - EVEN at a COLLEGE level! grrrr! I HATE that. ....those kind of things bug me. They are kind of in a sense along the same lines of the term... ...but I kind of classify them differently. Maybe I'm just strange. Anywho.

5. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

Don't worry. You're not strange at all. I think everyone must hate things like that. I think PE and organized sports are the worst. I'm not used to this stuff and now that I'm in college I just don't tell my teachers unless I need to. I actually just had one of those "I hate this" moments when I finally got my food in the dinning hall and sat down with my friends to eat and tested and then I had to jump up and get some juice since I was low. I had been feeling really tired but I figured it was just from a long day. The worst part was that when I got back to the table and my friends asked me what was wrong I didn't tell them because there were two people there who I barely knew and I felt awkward. It would have been awful except that about 20min later the two that I didn't know went to get more food and then I could tell my 3 friends what had happened. It makes a HUGE difference to have people who you can tell things like that to. I'm sure everyone who recognizes their own feelings has a hard time with moments like that. I think that no matter how long you live with it you never completly "get used to it." I figure the more you accept the fact that it's hard the easier it is to get over it. :D