- advertisement -

the wonderful Joe S - video on the CWD main page

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frizzyrazzy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Finally!!! There is a video of the often talked about Joe S's friends for life presentation up on the main CWD page:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/video/JoeS2.htm

I've been waiting for this for so long (as I was there while they were filming...) It was fun to relive the day.

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Sweet! Thanks for letting us know, Michelle! :cwds::cwds:

3. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

It was fantastic!!!!:D

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I just watched this and it was great!! :)

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Wow! He is very right on!

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Was the complete speech there? When it got to the part about teens it cut off for me. Is that right?

7. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Beautiful.:cwds:

8. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

He is great! :)

9. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

That is great!!! Thanks for posting it, Michelle!!!! :cwds:

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Wait a minute. . . was that FFL 2010? Were you there? (I didn't attend Joe's talk because I met him at D-camp a few years ago. He was really great. )

But, I'm going to be a little miffed if you were at FFL and I didn't get to meet you!

11. frizzyrazzy

nope, FFL 2009. It's been a long time in the works I guess. :)

In the first scenes you can see me and Cami Noel, Carie (my 2 ladybugs), Susan (Iluvmhp) and mr. Badshoes' foot. lol. We were all sitting together. :) I look to be scribbling notes but really I think we were arranging our pool grownup "get together" for later for that night. LOL.

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Two things... I can't see the video for some reason (yes, Flash is up to date) so here's the direct download link: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com//video/parenting_type1_child_med.f4v

However, I'm not feeling so encouraged.

Around 5:25 he says "in target zone at least 80% of the time... then your kids can do whatever they want". At least, really?

Alex's best non-honeymoon A1c was 6.0 and he's not even close to 80%.

13. frizzyrazzy

I think that was a best case scenario really. And included glass walking.

14. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Well I'm glad I didn't miss you. 2010 was my first year. I will look for you in the video. I look just like my Avatar. . . including the hairdo :p. (Carol, (Selketine) can vouch for me!)

That part cheered me a little, because there is no way we are embarking on a glass-walking career as a family. :rolleyes:. Yeah, no way is dd in range 80% of the time.

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Joe is great. He has spoken at here in Seattle at some of the CWD conferences.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Maybe he means if you tested your blood sugar 4 times a day. For most people this means fasting BG when they first wakeup, (before/pre-prandial) for lunch and dinner and before bed. If you went off that data set only than in range 80 % of the time would be easily achievable

I think this is what he means even though he works for a test strip company. Canadian Diabetes Association guidelines (ADA guidelines are usually the same) are for T1s to test 4 times per day and this includes those on pumps. (Not saying I agree with this, and I do not think the purpose of this guideline is to say testing more than 4 times is wrong, but rather testing less than 4 times is wrong )
    I think it would be very hard for any T1 to have blood sugars between 72 - 144 80 percent of the time

Some might argue that it is achievable bc that allows you to be out of range 4.8 hours and in range 19.2 hrs in a 24-hour day

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

To my mind, the value in Joe's talk is the emotional intelligence he brings both as a person living with type 1 and as one who is trained and talented as a counselor and therapist.

My Endo talks range; Joe speaks to me about how to raise an emotionally healthy and strong kid with type 1.

I can get all the in range stuff I need from Drs, Joe on the other hand, provides something that I can't find at the endo's office, or for that matter anywhere else.

18. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Amen Sarah!!!

19. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

cool.

hi all.

really enjoyed the talk my sister and i.

Jeff,

in search of similar videos on cwd i went to the 'videos' page and couldnt find very many similar presentations/seminars.

went to the 'conferences reports' page and the reports included mainly texts and photos, which of course were great.

yet, it seems to me as though having some sort of page in cwd were we could access some educational videos like this would be yet another blessing. you know.. time to move on to video-learning rather than reading and reading.

i dont really know much about the proprietary/copyright restrictions in putting videos like that there, but i know these videos are invaluable.

20. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Thanks for posting this... I found it really helpful..with some great advice:)