- advertisement -

The time you totally screwed up.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by helinut, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth was about to go to a B-Day party at pump it up (It's a large room full of bounce houses) I have him his Lantus dose in fastacting. I gave it to him in the car outside and it was dark. Since then I wrap a hair band around the Lantus a few times so that even in the dark I can tell the differance. He had to eat a whole pizza to make up for it but it all worked out. It's a good thing he likes to eat lol

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Today, knocked set out, hubby came over with supply bag(he wants to keep with him, his way of control, he's a Virgo) He then proceeded to screw up the 2 spares I had, called one of the CDEs I know, she came to my rescue, she met him at the local hospital and gave him a couple more!
    (bg got to 19.6mmol/dl)

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Ok 5 months into this...I REALLY appreciate this thread! :cwds: my first mistake was pre dx....I thought DD MIGHT have diabetes, but I scheduled the appt for Friday afternoon after school because school had just started and she had a spelling test that day. I should have gone in on Wednesday. UGH! :( She scored perfectly on the test, but by the end of the day she was in DKA and in PICU! :eek: I have made two other mistakes so far....for period of time post dx...maybe a week...I was reading the 1/2 unit syringes incorrectly! I thought the syringes half unit was on full unit side....eegoshh! Thankfuly she didn't have to many crazy highs/lows. :eek: The last mistake was recent, forgot to give lantus on time instead I dosed 2 hours post bedtime. :eek:
    Sharing these mistakes and reading the pp...made me feel like I am not the only one who makes bad d care mistakes. :eek: :eek: :cwds: ;)

4. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I don't *think* I've had any glaring mistakes yet, BUT give me time. We are only 2 months into this journey and we haven't started pumping yet, or come out of honeymoon. It's only a matter of time, I'm sure.

5. LJM

LJM Approved members

I once decided that I was so sick of stubborn high BGs that I was going to try a plus 100 percent basal. NOT my best idea...really.

It took a while to undo that mistake, although I think he enjoyed eating so much...:D

6. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

For some reason when we were first dxd I thought that her levemir dose was dependent on her nighttime number. For example I would give 1.5 units instead its .5 units if she was high. I probably did this got a week before checking in with get endo and realizing this HUGE, STUPID mistake. Sheesh, back to diabetics 101 class anyone? We never had any huge mishaps though, amazingly!

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I do +200% once in awhile. Jacob is on a +100% right now. It wasn't a mistake that you tried it, it just worked way too well for you guys.:cwds:;)

8. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My first mistake was on our way home from the hospital we stopped for pizza. We let Taylor check her sugars, she read the meter upside down. Cant remeber the number but we thought she was low so we gave her candy to get her up. She was pretty high after wards. Also could have been the pizza =). 2nd mistake was not looking at the cards our dr gave us. They gave us a cheat sheet on I:C ratio. We gave one to the nurse. The nurses was way off. Had to take her home from school since we couldnt get her up.

9. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Prior to DS actually being diagnosed, I kept yelling at DS thinking he put on the older brother's pants b/c they were falling off of him. Did not occur to me, a dietitian, that he'd lost weight. Even when he started peeing all over, I went off to a conference I didn't want to miss b/c it was at the Gaylord Hotel in Dallas and I needed hours for my license--thought I'd take him to the doc when I returned. I think I subconsciously knew what was coming but couldn't admit it. Didn't realize then how deadly postponing treatment could have been. So stupid.

One of the first sensors I put into my DS he kept screaming and crying that it hurt, I kept reassuring him it was okay. Then I realized I had taped it all down with that long inserter needle left in under his skin (trying to remember how I did this, back then the transmitter was connected to the sensor w/ a 6" cable).

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

Another stupid thing I did was slice a hole in the start button of the Omnipod P D M with my thumbnail. I am more carful now. I hope the next generation pdm is easier to turn on.

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Let's see

• early days, went out with no supplies and decided to eat figuring we could just dose when we got home (30 min. away)...doesn't work that way :eek:

• left her d bag in the car in January with below freezing temps...bye bye insulin!!

• and the classic giving the wrong insulin dose. When dd was on Lantus, it was a split dose with more in the am and less at dinner time. I always gave the am dose as dh leaves early for work and he gave the pm dose as I was preparing dinner. Except for when he was away and I gave the larger am dose at dinner time not once...but 2 days in a row!!! :eek:

12. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

First couple days home from the hospital, gave him Lantus instead of Humalog for a meal. Totally panicked, certain I'd just done something horrible, by the time the on call endo picks up the phone I'm sobbing...poor guy couldn't even understand what I was saying. I often wonder if "lunatic mother" isn't written in Bobby's chart somewhere.

Bobby loves to remind me of "the time I tried to kill him" whenever he wants a new video game :p

Flash forward to just this week, I'm beyond frustrated during a 4am check that his pdm isn't lighting up to take a reading when I insert the strip...till I realize I'm holding my cell phone and sticking the strip in the charger slot.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is funny! We keep all the electronic devices on the table -- along with the meter. My husband has picked up my Blackberry and walked into our son's room to test him before realizing that simply wouldn't word.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Oh, yes, I forgot about the time that she was fairly new to pumping, something happened with the pump, and they didn't want her using it, so we went back to injections for the weekend while we waited for a replacement. Only I completely spaced it and left with NO insulin, NO syringes, NOTHING, because she was pumping and I didn't need that stuff:rolleyes:.. We were 45m from the house, I had to call the CDE and have them fax over a script for novolog.. and then fight the stupid pharmacist over a syring because I had forgotten those too. He gave me a syring with no problem, but wouldn't let me do it anywhere but right at the pharmacy so he could be sure it was for Kaylee.. Like i'd make all that up for a free syringe. :rolleyes:

15. Ali

Ali Approved members

All these stories are heart breaking and really funny. I have lived with this disease for many many years and I as the diseased person(since my teens) doing all this stuff on my own have done all these mistakes in my own care. You are such great parents. :cwds::)ali

16. LJM

LJM Approved members

Thanks Dave!

17. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

18. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

26 units of Apidra instead of 26 Lantus

Just last weekend, after my daughter injected her daily "Lantus" and was ready for breakfast, I went back to the kit to discover that I had left the fast acting Apidra out.

Now why would the Apidra be out if I had just injected Lantus???....

5 units of Apidra covers breakfast, and instead she had 26 units of Apidra on board.

So the very good news is I figured out this mistake before she went low. In fact with DH's great math skills, DD did not go low (well once at the 3 hour mark).

She just drank a small bottle of juice (38 carbs) every 15 minutes for the first hour, and we measured every 15 minutes and she kept slowly coming up (thank goodness). Then she had soda crackers for a change of pace, but we kept the simple carbs coming and measuring. We held off on the real Lantus until she was out of the woods.

She did go low at the 3 hour mark - the Apidra was injected in her leg which slows it down a bit, and such a large amount does hang around longer. But we were still measuring so she wasn't low for long.

The best news is DD was a good sport about it - which made it all much easier.

The next morning, I double checked the insulin BEFORE she injected. Live and learn, over and over again.

I guess it was not a total screw-up. It reminds me of way back when..... How not to give Lantus http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=51187

Actually, thinking of screwing up, why am I up so late, you ask? Just came back from a 2 hour round-trip delivery-drive because DD was away at a sleepover with only TWO test strips.

This parachute parent is signing off for the night.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  19. helinut

helinut Approved members

Yup. I did just laugh out loud at this one! HA! Wouldn't it be cool though if the iPhone or any other phone would do this?

20. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've heard all week! Only the parent of a CWD could fathom how that could ever happen!:p