- advertisement -

The Scariest Morning of my Life

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by austin_calebs_mom, Mar 26, 2010.

1. alongoria

alongoria Approved members

I know how you feel

This same happened to us last July. It changed me forever.

Autumn

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

I am so sorry you had to deal with that. To me it sounds like you handled yourself very well.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh crap!!!:( I am so sorry honey. I know this was so scary for you. You got through it though! You didnt crumble under pressure. I am so proud of you! Im glad Caleb is ok, if I know him hes probably running around today already as busy as ever. Did the endo tell you to run him a little high for a few days?

4. linda

linda Approved members

Because the Gluc gons expire, you dont want too many or you cant refill (Unless you say you needed to use it!).....Our ins co only gives 2 at a time..(actually in case of needing it sometimes you need 2 at 1 time :(

Will the one in Andrews baseball bag be used by anyone in particuliar? Otherwise you said you carry 1?

5. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

I have nothing helpful to say right now to you, but I am in tears after reading your post. I am so so so sorry for you guys, all of you. This was so scary to hear about. I hope it never happens again. Our lives will always be like this, scared of something like this. But we just have to take it each day at a time?

Hugs to you

6. linda

linda Approved members

7. linda

linda Approved members

We do have fears, but must try to keep them at bay, our children have to live their lives. If we take all precautions, and are aware of the signs, we should all be ok. I feel you all with younger kids have so many more advances and learn from our experinces as well. When your child has a lot of target #'s and is running low as well, if there is activity going on as well, you may have to make sure there is some time to run the body on some higher #'s to replace the organs with glucose.:rolleyes:;)

8. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

How scary for all of you! Everyone did well under stress, though. I hope Caleb is feeling better and you too - although it will probably take you much longer than him.

Also, thank you for sharing. I have an expired Glucagon that I've been meaning to get out and practice with.

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I'm shaking even thinking about what you went through! I am so sorry! Hopefully you were close to the Childrens Hospital!

10. andrew's-dad

andrew's-dad Approved members

unfortunately, this happened to andrew twice w/in a month. the first time my wife attempted to give the glucagon but didnt remove the dust cover and bent the needle. i was home for the second one and andrew was getting out of the bath tub when it happend. i heard a loud thud (andrew collapsing into the bath tub) and immediately knew what it was. he seized for what seemed like forever even tough it was probably was less than a minute. he was so blue in the face and he gurgled when he breathed. i gave the glucagon and he came out of it almost immediately. i am a RN so i check his femoral pulse and knew he was ok at that point.

you feel so helpless when they are seizing. you think your child is fixing to die right in front of you and you are helpless. if i hadnt check his pulse, i was considering CPR because respiratory usually turns into cardiac problems with kids. he hasn't had one in over 2 months. after the second one, we paid out of pocket for a CGM. it has been a wonderful investment, especially at night. it's not always spot on but it will alarm you to when they are dropping rapidly and it will predict a low.

11. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

Thanks everyone. Caleb is indeed back to his normal self. :) He doesn't remember anything that happened at the house, only being in the ambulance and in the ER. It was definately more tramatic for us that him.

I didn't see him seizing, but my sister said that he was shaking bad and was stiff as a board and was moaning. He was sleeping in the top bunk bed and she had to pull him off, so he's got a few scrapes and bruises on his back. I know she feels bad about that, but I told her that she had to do what she did. When I got upstairs she had him in the living room trying to hold him up (he's 4'1" and 60lbs) but he was competely passed out. He was drooling really bad and never even felt me give him the Glucagon. The thing that surprised me was how much harder it was to get the needle into him compared to a regular pen needle.

Even though there's a hospital about 5 minutes from my mom's, I did not want him to go there. I had the EMT's take him to the hospital that he was born and dx'd at which is larger and better staffed, since we aren't in MI. His endo returned my call in less than 15 minutes though and helped calm me down. He doesn't want Caleb going under 100 for the next few days, but we've already had a couple numbers in the 70's. Before this happened, 70's didn't scare me a bit...now they do. I know that it will just take some time to get over it.

12. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Wow...again so sorry to hear this. Your sister did a great job too. Did you talk to your family beforehand? His 60lbs probably felt more like 120 to your sister, so it is awesome that she got him down and to the living room. We haven't had one YET-- so your post brings awareness to some very real issues we should be thinking about, thank you.

13. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

I'm sorry this happened to you guys. Your post gave me goosebumps, like I can feel the panic that I know I would feel also. You did a great job! Glad he is feeling better.

14. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I am glad he is okay, and you did an awesome job holding it all together. Hugs!!

It helps to know you have a good place to turn to.....where in Wisconsin?
    I liked children's ...anyway hope the rest of your stay is better.

15. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

My family is in southcentral WI, not in a big city, so I hesitate to post the name of the hospital he was at, even though we now live in MI. Thankfully he was able to be discharged after about 4 hours. He kept saying he wanted to go home, at least when he was awake there. He slept for most of the time.

16. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I'm so glad that he's doing ok. That must have been so scary. I hate diabetes....

17. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

you can refill the glucagon anytime ..ours is writen for 2 but i like to have 4 on hand ...one for home one for my pocketbook one for school and one to go in her d bag that goes to dads that way we are never without anywhere so i just have it refilled when its time and then wait about a week and have it refilled again so i have 4 that are good for a year ...thankfully we have never used it and i hope we never do but its also nice to have the old ones on hand because i use them to train at the begining of the school year so they have actually mixed it and know what to do more than just some directions

im so sorry you had to go through this and i hope you never have to again!

18. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Glad he is feeling better. Kylie had a seizure about 6 months ago. It does change things. We used to sleep through the night all the time. Now we check much more often. I remember the first night after Kylie's we used a baby monitor when she went to bed. It didn't make me feel any better, though, because every time she moved I would tense to see if it could be a seizure.

You will relax some as the days go by. I won't lie to you, though, I'm not nearly as relaxed as I was pre-seizure. It's hard.

((hugs!))

19. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

That is scary.:(
    I'm glad he's ok.
    Karen

20. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

How scary!!:( Glad he's ok now!