- advertisement -

The rules of punctuation thread

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Jacob'sDad, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I can write a sentence with the word "had" repeated eleven time in a row.
    Want to see it?

2. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Irregardless.....enough said :p
    Karen

3. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

One thing that bugs me about myself is that I know I end a sentence with a preposition too often. I don't usually realize I am doing it at the time, but when I re-read what I've written I kick myself.

Karen thanks for the explanation about effect and affect. The only time I know that I am using it correctly is when it pertains to psychology, which was my major in college. I should go write a bunch of sentences over and over using both of them correctly so I get it drilled into my brain.

4. Mama Belle

Yes, please.

5. Jacob'sDad

Unthawed. I'd rather have a pencil shoved in my ear than here that non-word.

6. Karenwith4

ooh good one.

Here are more of mine

youz/yous..... it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

orientated.... it just sounds completely wrong (and yes I know there are cases and countries where it is appropriate but mine isn't one of them :p)

Karen

7. Karenwith4

My pleasure
    I have no easy way to remember that. I was trying to come up with one for my son who was questioning it the other day. The best I could do was Affect is an Action (verb).

Karen

8. Jacob'sDad

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Now, you add the punctuation so it makes sense!

9. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Dave,
    That sentence makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.:confused:

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

When I address an envelope to "The Smiths" I always want to put in an apostrophe. Also, when I say something happened "in the 1900s" I want to stick an apostrophe in there.

Favorite English version of a word -- grey instead of gray. My computer is putting a little red line under the spelling I love right now. I'm ignoring it.

I know the difference between affect and effect, but EVERY TIME I have to go through this memory device -- special effects is spelled with an e, it is a noun, therefore effect is a noun and affect is a verb. Got to be a better way.

Biggest pet peeve seen in writing from highly educated people -- a lot written as alot. Drives me bats.

11. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

For some reason, I am DYING of laughter reading this thread! You guys are great!

I had an example I wanted to ask you all, but now I forget. I'll think of it again here in a minute.

12. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

oh we say that all the time. we say things like "what are yous doing?" I can't STAND the word y'all. it drives me crazy. I really hate that word!

13. Twinklet

While I'm thinking, (and it has something to do with quotation marks that I always seem to get wrong--I'm trying to find an example), I'll post my biggest pet peeves, gramatically-speaking:

The mix-up of there, their and there.

There is a place.
    Their shows possession.
    They're is a contraction meaning they are.

Your and You're

Your shows possession.
    You're is a contraction meaning you are.

It's not "Your welcome", it's "You're welcome!"

But I know I make frequent mistakes. I am not good at commas and tend to place way too many of them. I also end sentences with prepositions way too often.

OK!! Here's my question: In my sentence above that's highlighted blue, where does the exclamation mark go? Inside or outside the quotation marks? It seems to me that it would go outside, but I don't think that's correct.

14. Mama Belle

Inside. Punctuation goes inside quotation marks.

15. Twinklet

Is that true ALWAYS? Is there even an exception?

16. Twinklet

I mocked that word as well until DH got stationed in Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma. I was shocked at how quickly it became a part of our everyday vocabulary! I almost felt snobby NOT using it!

What's funny is using the phrase, "All y'all." It's plural possessive as far as I can tell. LOL!!!

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Got a C on a college paper once because the TA claimed contractions can never be used in a formal paper.

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Think it depends on what style you are using, AP style says always, others don't. That's according to my once copy editor husband. . . .

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am LOVING this thread!!! I can tell you from experience - I have worked for some extremely intelligent attorneys over the years and NONE of them could spell or put a sentence together properly! :eek:

I think it's like math -- you either got it or you don't! (And yes, I realize that last sentence wasn't gramatically correct! :p)

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I hate it when people capitalize words that are not proper nouns. "Doctor" by itself is not a proper noun, and therefore doesn't require capitalization. However, "Doctor Smith" is a proper noun and does.