- advertisement -

The rules of punctuation thread

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Jacob'sDad, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I'd like to answer my own question about starting a sentence with "But".
    I think it's OK in this environment because our posts imitate actual speach, and if I would talk that way in an actual conversation than it should be OK here. I think it makes it sound more "real" to not be too perfect.
    I like it when people throw an "umm" in there once in awhile.

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

OMG!! How did you know!? Every time my friend with the master's degree sends me an email with that word spelled exactly like that, I want to pull my hair out. No offense again to people that spell it that way, but I certainly get upset knowing that people with degrees in education who teach English cannot spell that word. :rolleyes:

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

It's a very scary thing, and teachers don't seem to care around here.

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

How about too and to. I hate it when people say something like "yes me to"
    doesn't too mean also? Or atleast how it's used?

5. CButler

CButler Approved members

How about the issue of typing complete sentences? (Was that a complete one?) I know better, but I don't always do it!

6. Jacob'sDad

You ask for "advice" not "advise".
    I advise you to ask for advice.

Two tough ones for me are the correct use of "then" and "than" and "affect" and "effect".

BTW, do you people go back and add most of the punctuation after you're done typing the post or can you actually put it in as you type? I have to add most of it in at the end.

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I'm pretty certain it is okay to start a sentence with "but" when you are trying to emphasize something.

For example:

This works:
    "I really think her Lantus does may be too high so I will probably lower it tonight. But, on the other hand, it could be that she is just coming down with a cold, so maybe I should hold off another couple of days."

This does not:
    "I opened the fridge expecting to find it empty, but instead I found brand new groceries.

Does that make any sense or do I totally have no idea what I am talking about?

8. twodoor2

I think the only person that consistently uses complete sentences in this forum is Wilf. I sometimes read his threads in envy thinking, "gee, why can't I write coherent and such structured sentences and paragraphs?" :(

9. Jacob'sDad

It's like I said a few post ago; if it imitates actual speech it should be OK. You don't want to sound like a robot.

BTW, did I use that semicolon correctly?

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

too (t)
    adv.
    1. In addition; also: He's coming along too.
    2. More than enough; excessively: She worries too much.
    3. To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent.
    4. Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
    5. Informal Indeed; so: You will too do it!

Adverb
    1. as well or also: I'll miss you, too
    2. in or to an excessive degree: it's too noisy in here
    3. extremely: you're too kind
    4. US, Canad & Austral informal used to emphasize contradiction of a negative statement: You didn't! – I did too! [Old English tō]

11. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I have the worst time with effect and affect. If anyone could clear that up for me I would be ever so appreciative. I always type punctuation as I go and sometimes get my apostrophes confused with my semicolons so I end up typing words like "I've" like "I;ve". So I always have to go back and fix all of my errors. I was never a very good typist. :rolleyes:

12. twodoor2

I've been accused of that!:p

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

The spelling one that gets me is "rediculous". I actually asked my more culturally current husband if it was a take off on some current pop culture phenomenon because all of the sudden I see it everywhere.

I type fast - usually with 4 kids and a dog in the immediate vicinity making lots of noise :D . I make lots of typos, and often go back to add a thought and then miss an errant word because I changed tact somewhere along the line.

I think internet communication is vastly different than IRL or business communications and it tends to be looser and more forgiving. That being said if I see typos in my own posts I change them - even weeks later - lol 'cause they drive me nuts (mine - not other people's). I also use tonnes of dashes and parathenses because I type like I talk - with tonnes of tangents and half finished thoughts. :D I blame it on being the mother of 4 loud kids.
    Karen

14. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Type it in office and have office check it for you :p Just kidding. My English teacher would slap me for saying that.... :eek::D

15. twodoor2

BTW, I like how you spell tons as tonnes (the true English way). There are many words in the U.S. that have been simplified from the true English verison. Other examples include words like catalogue, colour, programme. I belong to an English history yahoo group, and there are many British members. I often find myself starting to spell these words like them.

16. Karenwith4

Short version
    Affect is most commonly a verb.
    The weather affected her headache.
    The exception is when it is used in psychological terms ie Her lack of affect concerned her doctors.

Effect is most commonly a noun.
    The effect of the weather on her headache was dramatic.
    Where are her personal effects?
    The special effects at the Olympics were computer generated

Effect is the verb used most often with the word to indicate change ie The only way to effect change is to vote Obama :D
    kidding just kidding

hth
    Karen

17. Karenwith4

It's the stubborn Canadian in me. :D
    I got into an argument with my English teacher when I went to highschool in Florida who always marked me down for my spelling. I got sent to the principal for telling her that in English class I shouldn't get marked down for spelling English words using proper English conventions. Except for

See - stubborn :D
    Except for the extra u, centre (not center) I tend not use English spellings online, but I always forget about tonnes not being the traditional US spelling. :)
    Karen

18. twodoor2

That's a shame, we've already butchered the poor language enough as it is in the U.S. You are spelling it correctly, as it was intended. We're not!

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

I was about to post the same about being Canadian.:D

20. twodoor2

Another thing that drives me crazy, since this thread has me on a roll, is the use of double negatives.

Examples:
    • "I don't have none."
    • "We're not getting nothing."