- advertisement -

The other diabetic family...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Aug 19, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

We started school yesterday and really all went well.

I had written on all our paperwork that Samantha was T1 and even sent in a 504 request in July and while I hadn't heard back I assumed things were still looked at. When I dropped Sam off at class I met the teacher and basically assumed she at least new Samantha was T1. She had no clue. I lost it then and I admit I cried a little right then and there, in front of the teacher and all the other parents, who all thought that I was crying because my baby was in 1st grade. I wish. I pulled myself together and my husband and I went to the office and talked to the principal who was very kind.

The funny part is that there is another family with D in the school, in fact they have 3 or 4 boys that all have D (I think there are 2 still at the elementary school?). Maybe they are here on CWD? :) But everyone we talked to at the school keeps telling us about this family and the principal and the nurse and the office lady each seperatly told me about this wonderful binder the mom has prepared with all the information for the school and how it would be great if I could create one too for them. I had hoped to pull something together, but I am guessing it will be nothing as good as this mom's since she's got way more years of experience. LOL.

Kind of freaking out about making it good enough. I plan on gleaning from this site and a few others, but if anyone has any specifics they recommend I put in, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

First, stop and breathe. Second, don't think you have to live up to some other family's standards. You know what your daughter needs, what her daily care is. There is another thread that gives an idea about what supplies you should send to keep at the school. Sit down and write a guide for what you do at snack time, lunch time and PE. What to do if she's low, high, etc. Then request a meeting with the principal and her teacher and hopefully the school nurse, though I see that you're in CA, so you probably have a district nurse instead of a school nurse.

3. januaryblue

Breathe...ok, I think I can do that. And I give myself permission to not be perfect. :eek:

Yes, we have a district nurse and she is at the school once a week. I'm not sure at this point how all the details will be done and I have a meeting with the her next Wednesday.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The document I am attaching is something that I have used for Danielle in the past and had great success with. I printed it out, put it in a 3 ring binder, and gave it to the nurse and the Principal. However, I think it is probably overkill for your situation. But I wanted to give it to you in case you could glean some information from it that you want to include in whatever you draft up. Good luck and don't compare yourself to other parents of CWD, you are doing just fine. :cwds:

http://ndep.nih.gov/media/youth_schoolguide.pdf?redirect=true

5. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Please take it easy on yourself. You're still very newly diagnosed and it's unfair of the school to ask you to prepare a folder with your child's needs when you've been asking for a 504 meeting for months now. Have you checked out the School Documents file on the BraveBuddies group? There's a ton of stuff there that might be useful to you (though I haven't looked at any of it since I still have a ways to go before my little guy starts school). Maybe that mom is a member of the BB group? :)

6. januaryblue

Thanks I appreciate the link.

7. januaryblue

Sometimes I forget that BB has documents. It seems a lot of what happens on there is South Bay, so I don't always check it out as often as I probably should. Thanks.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Not all kids are the same and therefore you shouldn't have to live up to what another family does. I have another family at our school and I know I do things my way and she does things her way - she doesn't work so she is at the school a lot more and obviously more accessable if there are questions, etc.

Perhaps you can ask that they give this other Mom your name and number and maybe she would be willing to share her binder with you so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I always find it easier to tweek someone's stuff than start from scratch.

9. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

I know what you mean. The South Bay is kind of far for us, too. There are some events here in the East Bay but then I start thinking about dragging all the kids somewhere and having to chase them all over the place and then I get a headache and just want to lie down. LOL!

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I just sent you a message...I think I follow that families blog :)