advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Night BG Testing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by veronicatnorris, May 28, 2018.

1. veronicatnorris

veronicatnorris New Member

How many of you get up in the middle of the night to test your child's blood sugar? If so, how often and at what times do you check? Does your child generally wake on his/her own with a low?.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Hello,
    I see you are new. Not sure how old your child is or how long they have had diabetes. My baby is 19 now, diagnosed at age 3. We used to test at least once overnight, depending on how things were going. Currently, she uses a cgm, so it will alarm if low/high & since she is away at college, i have no idea if she gets up or not. When she was little, she usually woke up, but many times slept thru my testing & treating a low. I remember our endo at that time telling us it was unnecessary to test in the middle of the night & i say that is bs. It is my kid & my house & i will test if I feel necessary. I would never go 8 hours during daytime with no testing...so it made no sense to not test overnight. However, there were plenty of times that I thought she would be fine & i TOTALLY needed the sleep so did not test overnight & well she has survived thus far:)

Do what you are comfortable with. If you are able to get a cgm, get it. It is a game changer. Same goes for a pump, but I know with insurance & even with just learning to deal, that doesn't happen overnight.

Lots of people here with good info. Don't let yourself get too overwhelmed. Yes, it is a lot.

rgcainmd and Christopher like this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi,
    Testing overnight is a personal issue and you should do what you feel is best. I agree with everything Kim said above but here are my thoughts:

For the first 8 years of dealing with this illness I tested my daughter at least 2 times during the night, every single night. How else would I know if she was going too high or too low? There were nights when she went to bed in range but by 2am was sky high. Worse, there were times when she went very low. She never woke up when she was low (or high). She was not using a CGM at that time, so the only way to know was to do a finger stick.

I would usually check before she went to sleep. Then again around 1 or 2AM. If she was high I would do a correction and then check a few hours later to make sure I didn't give her too much insulin. If she was low I would treat till she came back up in range.

Was I tired all the time? Yes. Did it suck having to wake up at night? Yes. But I did it because I felt that was the best way for me to keep her safe and healthy. Also, I was able to let her sleep so it did not impact her performance at school, which was important to me.
    So for me personally it was WELL worth it. Now that she uses a CGM (and pump), it is much easier. So if your child is open to either (or both) of those things I would go for it. It really does make a huge difference.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    kim5798 and rgcainmd like this.
  4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I got up every night until both my type 1s went on CGMs. I ran them with tight control so maybe more prone to lows. It was not only lows I would catch ,but highs too. Went for 8 years doing that until went on CGMs in 2008. My youngest just switched in Jan to the new Medtronic 670 and no longer has lows at night. My oldest still on Dexcom until he switches over in the next week or so to the 670.

Ditto to everything Chris said. Yes it sometimes makes me tired but did not want any BG affected his performance at school or him being tired dealing with it.