- advertisement -

The honeymoon stage

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jordan'smum, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Jordan'smum

Jordan'smum New Member

Hi, for those of you whose children have passed the honeymoon stage, how long did it take for this stage to pass?
    My son was diagnosed with type 1 less than two months ago & we are very much in the honeymoon stage with a mixture of low, high & good bg levels.
    It is all still very new to us & while my son is coping very well (so far), I'm finding this stage very hard to deal with. The inconsistency in his levels & the fast changes from high to low including hypos are so very scary. I just wondered how long this usually lasts. Thanks.

2. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

It can vary from weeks to months to year... some are out of it right away, but my son is still pretty much honeymooning at 1 year and a half. so many variables

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

It just varies for each person - and there is no way of knowing how long it will last.
    My daughter was 8 when she was dx and her honeymoon started maybe a week after we got home for the hospital. It lasted a good 5 months where she only needed lantus and maybe a total of 2 units of NovoLog per day. Then we went away on vacation and she got a nasty case of swimmer's ear. Her numbers went up in the 300s from the infection and that was it. It was all over. I'm assuming the infection is what caused it to come to an abrupt end but who knows - could be coincidence.
    for us, the honeymoon was good. She was able to go to Girl Scout camp all summer and not have to worry about taking insulin. I dreaded the day the honeymoon ended but once it happened, it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be. We got in to a regular routine and things were much more predictable.

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie was also diagnosed at the age of 8 and never really went into a honeymood period.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

For us there was no clear breakpoint, after about 2 years micro doses of insulin no longer mattered, and bolus and basal rates moved from fractions to whole units. It's easier in some ways once you're past the honeymoon because insulin sensitivity factor (ISF) becomes more managable.