- advertisement -

The faces of diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammolsonkasey, Jul 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. sammolsonkasey

sammolsonkasey Approved members

Hello,

I haven't been on this board in forever! :) I actually came here asking for some help.

My son Tristan, who is now 5 years old, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when he was 16 months. He has been in school for 2 years now and one of his nurse (the main one that takes care of his management) really took a likely to him. We actually became friends because we were working so closely together.

Anyways, this year she decided to run a marathon to raise money for diabetes. She is running the marathon in honor of my son and another little girl with diabetes. We have been working on different fundraiser. Please don't stop reading, this is not about fundraising at all! :)

I had the idea that it may be a good to show potential contributors who they were helping. So I decided to create a slide show of people who are living with diabetes. I have around 30 people featured on the video right now.

I want to add more. I think the more people we have, the bigger the impact. I've been really involved in the online D-community and one of the thing that comes up a lot is that diabetes is a faceless disease. Well I'm trying to change that. I want to put a face to diabetes and I would like your help.

You can see the video at: www.runningfordiabetes.com (this is the fundraising website) or at: http://life.irreverentblogs.com (this is my own website so it's not about fundraising).

I welcome any comments and I hope that a lot of you will decide to participate and make an impact.

2. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I emailed you .. the video is great ... would love to add Kaylee if you wanted .. I actually have recent pics!

Crystal

3. sammolsonkasey

Thank you so much Heather. On one hand I'm sorry that the video made you cry, on the other hand, I'm happy that it did! Hopefully it can touch the hearts of many people! :) I received your picture. Thank you. I will be updating the video this weekend.

4. sammolsonkasey

Already emailed you back Crystal! :) I would love to add her to the video.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm crying too. Just finding a picture to email you.

6. dvane

dvane Approved members

I would love for you to use Ethan. Sent you an E-mail.

7. susan

susan Approved members

Awesome video..I sent you an email...

8. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We loved the video. I e-mailed you a picture.

9. sammolsonkasey

Thank you all for your participation! :) I will have the update video up by this weekend. Dvane, I haven't received a picture of Ethan. :(

10. alismom

alismom Approved members

Sent an email. Allison at her semiformal. She was 12 when diagnosed.

11. dvane

dvane Approved members

I will send it again when I get home from work.

12. Mfry

Mfry Approved members

I will send you along Meaghan's picture tonight :). She was actually an ambassador for the JDRF walk here this year.

13. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

This is a great project. I'll find a photo of Ethan, possibly the one in my avatar but higher resolution, and send it tonight.

14. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

15. sammolsonkasey

Good morning guys :)

Yesterday morning I updated the video to include all the wonderful pictures that I received this week. Thank you so much for your participation.

The new video will be uploaded later on this afternoon! ;) All the pictures (there are 3 of them) that I have received after I updated the video will be loaded this week and publish next weekend. I upload and update the video once per week because it's a lot of work to sync the music with the pictures.

I now have enough pictures that I have to start thinking of a second song to go up. I welcome any ideas for another song! :)

Again, thank you to everybody who has participated. It's still not too late if you want to add your picture. Just email it to me at diabetes@thursbyandfamily.com along with the age at the time of diagnostic.