- advertisement -

The DRI, because it was asked......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Diabetesdad, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Diabetesdad

Diabetesdad Approved members

Many people know me as Diabetesdad and I have been a CWD:cwds: dad for....well....a long time. Too long :(. I have two children with T1 and have been at this a long time. And many also know I am Vice President of Diabetes Research Institute Foundation -:D fair disclosure). Many people have asked me about the DRI, who we are etc etc, especially in relation to the recent news article with the CEO of JDRF.

The DRI history, present, and future has been to cure diabetes. It will not change. The DRI is a research center where the science is actully taking place and is located on the University of Miami campus. You can go to www.diabetesresearch.org to learn more. And you can also contact me directly at tkarlya@drif.org.

Now that I have answered the question (albeit briefly) I think it important to state that each one of us must make our own decisions. But I think it crucial for those who have supported JDRF over the years to ask questions from the foundation you have held dear for so long. Don't just give up. Ask. Ask. Ask. Do not support anywhere unless you believe in the mission. Do your homework. Don't join another organization just to leave another.

All of us are in this together. So many great organizations do great things. Those who have heard me lecture have heard me use the line 'just don't do nothing'. So don't. One must invest to receive reward. Time is where you make it and not where you find it. Wherever you give your time; ask questions, get answers. My opinion about anything is not what is important; what is important is that YOU are happy where YOU give your energy, your time, and your support; for your children, for a loved one, or even for yourself. Do your homework, choose, go!

I believe all PWD need to take great care of themselves and are entitled to the tools to achieve that goal; and also believe with all my heart and all my soul; and as realistic as I have ever been; that we will one day see T1 cured. I truly wish you luck in your search for answers and I look forward to meeting all of you at the first and only Children WithOUT Diabetes Conference.

My best to all of you.