- advertisement -

the dentist

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mishcoto, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

My 16 1/2 year old son ~type 1~ has terrible teeth-brushing habits. He does NOT do a good job. He has gingivitis (sp?). So. Our dentist & hygenist recommended a good electric toothbrush which we got and told him he HAS to floss. I watched him floss and he doesn't do a great job and gets mad when I tell him how to do it properly. At least he's doing more than he was.
    The dentist told him how an infection in his gums, which is what gingivitis is, like an infection anywhere in the body, can have an effect on his blood-sugar! It never occurred to me~ Also he has to go in to have cleanings 4 times a year now instead of twice a year. Of course, ins. only pays for twice a year. I guess I just wanted to stress the importance of good oral-health esp. in people with underlying medical conditions and the fact that even though he thinks we're all nagging him now, as an adult I think he'll appreciate the fact. I hope. lol.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well, I can't speak much for a kid not wanting to take care of his teeth. But I did want to share what turned my flossing world around. I HATE flossing - with a passion. Now I use the individual little flossers and I floss atleast once a day for the last year. They are pretty cheap, and so much easier to use with my teeth.

It wasn't the concept of flossing that I didn't like - it was the floss would cut into my fingers and I would always end of slicing my gums becuase I couldn't get the floss at the right angle. These little flossers work great for that.

3. mishcoto

Yes, those flossers are easy, but I was told you shouldn't put the part of the floss you use back into your mouth or you could be putting germs, etc. into the next area of your teeth, so regular floss you move it to the next clean part, etc. I will ask the hygenist (sp?) if this is true or not. Also, my son has a permanent retainer on the bottom of his teeth so for part of his flossing at least he needs a floss-threader with regular floss so he can get between those teeth.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Using an antiseptic mouthwash, like Listerine, will also help. Try the new flavors, the traditional is ghastly. First rinse, then floss, then brush. Gingivitis is associated with all kinds of health problems, including heart disease. So it is an important habit.

5. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My non-d son (18) has gingivitis as well. He uses an electric toothbrush and flosses some (probably not every day, but at least sometimes). Our dentist said that sometimes the kids actually do better with the hand-held brushes because they tend to get lazy with the electric ones! My son was SO upset when he found out about the gingivitis that he started flossing more and being more careful and when we went back 4 months later, his check up was much better. Maybe if the dentist sees improvement on the next visit it will give your son a reason to keep improving??? I agree with the mouthwash suggestions and individual flossers - anything to make it easier.

My son has some friends that rarely brush their teeth and they never have cavities, or other problems......go figure......

6. mishcoto

Yep, he has been told it can lead to heart disease, and that having type 1 makes him way more prone to heart disease. I know he doesn't want to hear it, but he has to hear it. He does listen, I just think all teens or most, regardless of whether they have a medical condition or not, just feel like they are going to live forever (I know I did @ that age!). He's smart, he knows he has to take extra-good care of himself. I just have to tread carefully because I don't want to be just the nagging mom all the time.

7. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Anyone with bleeding gums, has gingivitis....good home care, it takes the gums about 14 days to heal.

Don't worry, he can turn this around.

8. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We had a presentation at one of our support group evenings from the local dental hygenist's school. They provided really good info on how important oral health is to a person with diabetes (as it is for everybody).

I would check if there are any schools local to you that provide cleaning service. It takes longer because the students are checked at every step but it may help with the cost.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Do you have info about where this available in Hamilton ? and cost ? thanks for the info and you can PM me if you prefer

10. zatff

zatff Approved members

Have you tried using a water pik. It works about as well as flossing and may actually be better at cleaning teeth under gums. They are also good to treat gum disease as it is easy to add extra chemicals like mouth wash or even peroxide if needed.