- advertisement -

The cost of wars since 2001

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Becky Stevens mom, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I obtained this information from the following website. I couldnt get this info in here fast enough because the numbers are traveling at blinding speed. Just check out the website and watch the numbers scroll ever higher and imagine what could have been accomplished with these dollars, in healthcare, research into chronic incurable diseases, the environment, education, etc, etc, etc

http://costofwar.com/

the dollar amount right this minute is approx $974,522,999,999

cost of Irag war $713,468,199,999

cost of Afghanistan war $261,054,067,999

The numbers will be higher by the time you see them.

The numbers hurt my brain.

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

3. Becky Stevens mom

You got a picture of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld! perfect;)

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

makes me want to puke.. and how many lives lost?

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

4,386 Americans have lost their lives in Iraq at a cost of $713,468,199,999, so the cost of the Iraq war is $163 Million dollars for each American soldier who has lost their life. That does not even begin to touch on the real costs - broken families, the impact to our economy for the next 80 years, and hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians and children who have been injured or killed. Mission accomplished...?

6. Becky Stevens mom

According to "Gee dubya" I sure hope hes going to move on with Rush Limbaugh:)

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Thought you all might be interested in this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

I have ZERO interest in debating the wars. None.

But I do think that it's fair to show that support for the war in Iraq began long before anyone had even heard of "Dub-ya," and from some corners that seem to have short memories.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Many presidents have engaged in rhetoric and saber-rattling to further diplomacy. Ronald Reagan called the Soviet Union the "evil empire" but he didn't start a war against them. The difference between W and Obama is that W started a war.

There most important quote of all regarding Iraq was not found in the post above:

---> ""I don't oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war."
    Barack Obama, Oct. 26, 2002

9. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Fascinating response, especially since Bill Clinton was one of about 50 different Democrats openly calling for war with Iraq WELL BEFORE BUSH WAS EVEN A CANDIDATE, and yet every one of the people cited has, at one time or another, tried to lay the war at the feet of GWB. "Bush lied, people died, He played on our fears, we never would have gone to war in Iraq, yadda yadda yadda."

Did you ever hear Bush point fingers and say, "Hey, all of those people WANTED war with Iraq!" No, you didn't. And he paid for it politically too.

In fact, I think I'll just post the text of the link in a post in this thread. There's nothing wrong with opposing the war, but when one side claims to have never supported it all along....

I also would pose this question, "What would the cost have been if we hadn't gone?"

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I think this metric is disingenuous and misleading. In fact, it reflects the value we place on our soldier's lives. Drones are WAY more expensive than foot soldiers as are smart bombs and the like. Perhaps the cost of war reflects our commitment to reducing the sacrifice of our troops. Maybe, just maybe, this is a testiment to our humanity and not something to scoff at.

If you want a cheap war just send in the meat.

11. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i learned that if the Government would just stop for one day, the making of the weapons, the cost for that from one day would feed the hungry for a long time.

12. Becky Stevens mom

That is painful to think of when I know that there are thousands of children in this country that go to bed hungry every night:(

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Becky have you ever seen this?
    I can't remember if I posted it here or not.

And this is my new favourite song. You need to watch the video to really get the song.

14. Becky Stevens mom

What a great commercial with Sean Penn! How true and moving and what a beautiful song that is. Thank you for sharing these Karen:cwds: