- advertisement -

thanks and passing on the tip......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisa, Feb 8, 2009.

1. allisa

allisa Approved members

First I wanted to say THANKS to this board for a tip that I learned quite a while ago and stored away...and had to use yesterday !

I wanted to pass it on as well....because it certainly proved handy to me.....

The Precision Blood Ketone Meter knows when strips are past expiration date and won't allow you to use them....you get an error reading.

Well at 7:30 yesterday morning my son vomited and I grabbed the ketone meter....yup....all my strips expired January 2009.....it was just a week ago !:eek: AND my prescription was expired so it was going to be a pain to get a new one in a timely fashion......but......

I remembered someone here suggesting that if this occurs....you can CHANGE THE DATE on your METER !! Trick it into letting you use the expired strips !

And it worked like a charm.....

OF COURSE I don't recommend using old expired medical equipment....but....we are talking less than a week past expired and sometimes ( middle of the night ) or whatever....you just need something to get by.....this worked like a charm !

Thanks to the previous poster who suggested this !! I never would have thought of it ! And hopefully....this post will trigger something when someone else needs it !!

2. CButler

CButler Approved members

Thanks. I didn't know that. Now I'll have to figure out how to change the date since all I know how to do is stick the strip in.:eek:
    I hope your son is better.

3. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

That's a great tip, thanks! Especially since odds are the strips were no way near bad since you were only a week out. ;) Good thinking!

4. linda

linda Approved members

Thanks! We just recieved our meter and will test at some point, wont be xpired for a while but thanks anyway!:cwds:

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

ssssnnNNEEEEkkkyyyyy LOL

I'm sorry you needed them:( Did he have keytones?

6. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Great tip!! This just happend to us the other day. I checked with urine strips instead. He had no ketones but I would have used this if I only knew.

7. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

What a great idea!

8. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We used that trick over the weekend too! We had about 12 strips that had just expired and we used them all up. That reminds me thought, now that I only have current strips i need to change the date back LOL

9. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

I saw that same tip on here a while back and had to use it a few weeks ago. Life saver who ever thought of doing that! :D

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I also used this tip about two weeks ago. I have two boxes that expired in November. I probably wouldn't have thought about it, except that Brandon left the bottle of urine strips open, and when he was running his bath, the bottle fell into the tub! :eek: Wouldn't you know, the next morning his site had fallen out and I needed to check for ketones. Then I remembered about changing the date on the Precision meter. :)

11. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

ughhh - just ran up to school and the precision meter (ketone strips) were expired!! I couldn't figure out HOW to change the date - anyone able to walk me thru it on this hectic monday morn? :confused:

12. allisa

allisa Approved members

just saw this...hope I'm not too late....

it's really easy....

Hold down the center button....5 seconds or so....then all the settings will come one by one and you can change them....they blink...if you have no change, hit the center button again and the next setting will appear and blink...

use the arrow buttons to change.....

good luck !!

13. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!!!! I forwarded it to the school nurse!!

14. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Wow, great idea! Thanks for sharing. I could have used this information a couple of weeks ago when DD had ketones and all of our strips were expired (what a headache! ..at least we had urine strips), now THAT won't happen again.

15. candise

candise Approved members

Our endo recommended that we check the date when we get a new prescription- he said that since they are not bought commonly that I check and make them reorder if they have a short shelf life left- not sure anyone's experience with that.