- advertisement -

Texas Lions Camp for Type 1 Diabetics

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phil413, Feb 3, 2010.

1. phil413

phil413 Approved members

Has anyone sent their child to the Texas Lions Camp for Type 1 Diabetics near Kerrville, TX.

Just wanting to find out about the overall experience, medical care (any nighttime checks?), etc.

TIA,

Lissa

2. deeann

deeann Approved members

I'd be interested in this too.

My brother(T1) attended this camp but that was 25+ years ago.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son attended when he was 8. The care was very good and they did night time testing -- you almost have to at a camp full of Type 1s.

This is a great and safe camp for kids with diabetes. My son was too young to be away from home that long.

4. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I want to send Brandi there, but its only for kids up to 15, and she will be 16 by the time camp comes around. I wonder if they would make an exception since she just got diagnosed.

5. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

I haven't, but I follow Dr. Steven Ponder on Twitter and I believe he works (perhaps organizes) the camp you are referring to. He tweeted each day about what they did and ate.

According to his updates, they did do nighttime checks and starting doing corrections for highs via an extended bolus and were pleased with the results. I found his updates interesting even though I'm in CT. :)

http://twitter.com/Dr_Steve_Ponder

6. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I never went there, but have heard from plenty of friends who absolutely LOVED it. I have a friend who is a counselor there now and only has great things to say.

7. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

My DD went last year it was her first time and she loved it!!!! Dr Ponder is just awsome and does a great service at that camp. They do several night checks and it is very well ran and organized!!

She liked camp so much that as soon as we left she was asking when she could go again. We have already done our app for this year and if you want your DD or DS to go I suggest getting their apps in ASAP this camp fills up very quickly but they always make sure that the kiddo's that have never been get the first slots!!!

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions just PM and I'll try to answer what I can.

8. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Brandon went last year. It was the first time he was eligible. It was AWESOME!!!! I was so nervous, and he even ended up in the clinic the first night with a high and some ketones, and needed a site change. I didn't even know until the day of checkout. I'm not saying it is good that he didn't feel well, but it was awesome to know that they could take care of EVERYTHING!

The check-in is extensive, and closing ceremonies and checkout are long, but it is SO worth it! Wear good walking shoes as you will be walking around a lot getting everything done. I can't say that my child was clean at the end of the week, but he had a great time!

Dr. Steve Ponder. What more can I say? I SO wish I lived near Corpus and he was our doctor. He just started the twittering the week Brandon attended. I took the physician part of the application with us to our appointment today, and plan on getting it in as soon as I can. All I lack is a sponsor right now.

I highly suggest going if you get a chance! Send in the application.

9. Brandi's mom

I wrote an email to the camp and they said that the cut off age is 15 and we are SOL.

Well they didn't say SOL, they said sorry. But it made me sad :(

10. phil413

phil413 Approved members

Thanks to everyone for responding!!

I just needed a little reassurance to get going on the app!

Anna is 10 and will be going into the 6th grade next year...in my opinion, it is probably the right time for her to do this. Let's just hope that I survive the week ;)!

11. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Amber,
    Have you contacted Camp Sweeney? They take campers from 5-18! Amazing camp in Gainsville.

12. Brandi's mom

WOW! There is no way in hades we could afford that camp!

13. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Amber, I sent you a PM about Sweeney! :cwds:

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I loved TLC!! Yes, they do nighttime checks. It's really fun and full of activities. They provide ALL D supplies, and 3 meals, 3 snacks a day. Dr. Ponder is AWESOME...and he's always running around with some kind of odd hat on his head, like pizza, or a milk carton. I really had fun, although I only got to go once :(. I turned 16 the next year.

15. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Camp Sweeney frequently gives financial aid/scholarships to camp every summer. In fact, they have never denied a child to camp due to a family's financial needs in over 50 years of running the camp.

I went to Camp Sweeney for 10 summers. My summers there were amazing!

http://www.campsweeney.org/