- advertisement -

Testing with control solution

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by bayleesmom, Nov 24, 2014.

1. bayleesmom

bayleesmom Approved members

My daughter is 14yrs old and was diagnosed when she was 5. She just does not want to bother with her diabetes. I have found the control solution for the meter, in her diabetes bag opened and the solution splashed on everything. After further checking, apparently, she has been putting the solution on her test strips instead of her blood. On a few occasions she has checked her blood and it was too high, so she rechecked with the control solution and her number appeared normal. When I went behind her to check, her blood sugar looks really good. Has anyone else had this issue with their teen? if not I just wanted to give some of you parents a heads up on what they may be doing. She told me that one of the girls at her diabetes camp told her about doing this. Ugh!!!!

***I had to revise the post from earlier. After I posted it, I finally read it and I didn't even understand what I said:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've never used control solution :) , I'm just too lazy, and now have no need to with the new machines.

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I would take the control solution out of her kit as a first step. We've also never used it. It's an extra expense for us that is unnecessary.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  4. wilf

wilf Approved members

It is not clear to me why she has the control solution. Remove it immediately.

More importantly, you need to sit down with her and talk about what is happening with her diabetes management. If you have regular A1Cs, then you should be seeing signs of problems. How long have her A1Cs been high?

If it were my child, I would be taking control of the situation - taking back all aspects of D management until things are clearly back under control. I would do the measuring when she was home, and have her giving insulin under supervision.

Is she on shots or pumping?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When teens go off the rails it doesn't really matter if they are trying to trick the meter or failing to bolus or not checking at all, it's all just a sign that they aren't mature enough to manage their diabetes and that it's time to change up the routine and oversee the care.

I would try very hard to avoid presenting this as a punishment, it's just that sometimes they aren't up to the task and parents assume that because they are physically and intellectually capable of doing the tasks that they are also emotionally mature enough to do so responsibly. Just tell her that you think she could use a break and that you will be checking or at least confirming the accuracy of the meter and helping with remembering to bolus correctly, checking at night to catch highs that will get the next day off to a lousy start etc..

It's not uncommon, especially with someone as young as 14.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

The most important step is to find out why. Is this a simple case of burnout? Does she feel like you are disappointed in her when she's high? Is it a self conscious thing, or does she not want to be different from her friends? Is she stressed about non d related things? There could be many other explanations. I would sit with her and just have a "how are you doing? Talk. Mostly sit and listen to her. Ask how she's feeling about a variety of topics. Help her feel you are there for her and want to help her with whatever she's going through.

Another thing I find myself needing to do now and then is remind him (and myself) that my love for him doesn't revolve around his bg or a1c. Sometimes it's all about what his blood sugar is doing, even though I try to ask him about other things before asking about that,

Sometimes making the leash shorter helps, but sometimes actually giving more slack (with pre arranged rules that you both can agree on) is what helps. Only you can decide the best course of action.

Another good resource is your cde. He/she may have suggestions. Or perhaps some counseling for her, with someone who specializes in teenagers with chronic diseases. Counseling only works when you find the right counselor. That's my opinion, anyway.

Good luck! I wish there was more I could do to help. :)