- advertisement -

Testing/injections in Public

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tina, Jun 27, 2011.

1. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

We also test and inject any place that we need to. I never thought twice about it, it's just part of all of our lives now. I hope you are doing well and staying happy, best of luck to you and your son.

2. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Thats a good point, I dont even like to change my DD diaper in a public restrooms lol I use my car...

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

LOL - if your boyfriend is worried about eating in a public place and personal hygiene issues, i recommend not eating at a restaurant! I have seen kids pick their noses at tables, adults file their nails at the table and we all have seen the table that has 50 flavors of bubble gum underneath!

So yes we test when and where we need to test. When on MDI, we gave shots when and where they were needed.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I had this very conversation with a co-worker at a restaurant I used to work in. Asked if he would enjoy his lunch in the bathroom. :rolleyes: And having worked in that restaurant I have to agree with the quote below and will spare you the stories of what goes on in the kitchen.

I have to say again, I really don't think people stare quite as much as we are afraid they might. We were just out having my car serviced and while in the very crowded waiting room.."Mom,I feel low". So he got the meter out of my purse, tested like no big deal, then dropped the meter case on the floor. The lancing device fell on the floor, lid popped off and there was the exposed lancet on the floor. No one stared, no one said a word. They looked for a second to see what happened, then went back to their magazines, phones, and the TV. And while I tried my best to wipe dirty floor off of the lancing device, my son went back to his DS. No biggie.:cwds:

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Puh-leeeze! I haven't read all the response but I already know wht they say! :D We test and treat EVERYWHERE. Someone once wrote that other ppl are using insulin to process their food, so why shouldn't my kid? :p

I'll admit the first couple of McD visits we went to the bathroom for shots. Uh, gross!! I realized quickly that I really didn't want to make my dd feel there was anything shameful about it--and bathrooms are not condusive to laying out supplies, nor are they very clean. I mean, anything you have to rub alcohol on for shouldn't be done in a public restroom.

Yhe fact is that your kid is only 4 now. He may have D for the rst of his life. :( Is he really supposed to spend half his life in the john? :confused:

6. tina

tina Approved members

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I had a long convo with the boyfriend and let him know how I felt pretty offended by his thoughts and shared my ideas and some of the rationale that each you shared. He apologized and said he wanted to support me however possible. He just said he was thinking at the time of people who might be squemish about needles, but that I was right.

7. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Glad you got it worked out. I just wanted to mention that we were travelling at Dx so all of our first shots were in restaurants. The first morning after discharge I was shaky while drawing up, dropped the vial of insulin, and it shattered all over the floor of the restaurant. They were VERY gracious when I explained what was happening.

8. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Boyfriend needs to take a hike.. I'm just sayin...

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Shortly after William was diagnosed we were eating at a Hard Rock cafe in Baltimore - the place was packed. He was still 2 yrs old so he didn't care where we did what. I got out the insulin bottle, syringes and got into the "zone" drawing it up (I still had to really pay attention to my technique - I wasn't speedy). I looked up when I was almost done and realized that I had the syringe out and was looking at it and tapping it getting the bubbles out and NO ONE around us was paying any attention at all.

I'm glad it worked out with the BF. I think - for the most part - the parents are more self-conscious than the public is disapproving of doing care in public. 7+ years for us and no one has ever said one word to me about testing or treating him.

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

So glad you worked it out. And a reminder you do want to be careful wih needles--you don't want to accidentally stick someone walking by or your child running by. And I know that this is new to everyone and you BF's initial feelings are normal--you get over it quickly though.

Just wanted to add that you will get stares--but when you see somone staring and pointing and whispering, it's usually because they have D themselves or knows someone who does!!! Pppl are so self absorbed that no onw would notice if you stand on your head. The ppl who do notice already know about D and are excited to see fellow D folk in the wild. don't be surpirsed if someone comes up to you like a long lost relative and exclaims, hey, my sister has the same exact pump!! or whatever. :D

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Glad you worked it out.

We have always tested and treated wherever.
    But I hated staring people. I know alot of others on this board use those moments as "Teaching moments," which is fine, but I would rather avoid it. So I did a few things.

Years ago, when dd was on shots here's what worked for us:

1. We use the smallest meter-- currently use the freestyle Lite.

2. use the multiclix (Less chance that it pops open unexpectadly)

3. I became adept at placing my hands and body in certain positions while testing dds BG that NO ONE could see what I was doing. (BTW-- this is something dd does herself now -- at school, camp, on the sidelines at lacrosse)

For injections:
    Pens--
    The Novopen junior has half unit markings and is an easy way to be discreet. When we used them I don't think people knew what it was.

12. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

21 years now and I have tested and treated where ever I am at.
    Same with breastfeeding.

13. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I pretty much take my cues from my son. He has always been a pretty reserved kid and doesn't like anyone knowing his business so it has always been handled as privately as possible in a public place (we don't take care of this in the car or a corner by any means). He has been on the pump since 3 months post-diagnosis and that does make it easier to be discreet but he still wants it to be discreet (i.e. he expects that I keep the pdm low profile when I am bolusing and that I handle it nonchalantly).

A little thing that helped me with the needles, when he was on mdi - I bought this WONDERFUL little gadget on Ebay. It was less than $6.00 if I remember correctly. It is a needle snipper and, if I remember correctly, it snips the needle part of about 1500 needles and it keeps them safely contained within this tiny device! It reminds me of a mini stapler in a way. You put the syringe needle end into this tiny hole and clamp down easily, while the syring is on the outside of the device. It neatly cuts off the sharp part!!!! I love it! I use it for all of the syringes for the omnipod syringes and it is so great.

So - tell your boyfriend that this is not like changing a diaper on a dining table - this is a means to an end and it is by no means offensive to anyone else. If others are offended, they are not worth your time. Best of luck :)

14. skimom

skimom Approved members

The way I look at it is that everyone else is getting their insulin at the table ( ie naturally) so why shouldn't your child get his there too?

15. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

:D I second this.

ETA - I finished reading the thread and see that you have worked it out. :)

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Love this!!:p:D

This is so true! I'd be so excited to see another mom testing her child...I'm sure I'd be rudely pointing it out to my son and standing him on his seat to watch!;):p:eek: