- advertisement -

Tessa's numbers today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tymaxtess, Feb 20, 2007.

1. tymaxtess

tymaxtess Approved members

OK--I'm gonna post her numbers today. Can all of you let me know if you think I should give the dr. another call? They are aware of what is happening with her and I don't want to bother them unnecessarily. We are seeing the ped endo at the end of March.

She was 69 fasting today. 1 hr. after breakfast (juice and toast) she is now 222. She does have a cold and is home from school. I'm gonna take it again at 2 hrs. after eating.

ETA: We have seen at least 3 other numbers over 200 in the past 4 days. She was coming down with this cold though.

2. Haley'sMom

Haley'sMom Approved members

As someone else had mentioned, perhaps you should look more into hypoglycemia. A friend of mine has it, his b/s rises after eating and then drops quickly. Just a thought.

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Because of the cold I don't think they will do anything at this point. Either way continue to watch her as some people were dx'd right after an illness, and this could bring on more of an onset.
    Jamie

4. tymaxtess

OK--I'm leaving it alone now until she shows other symptoms. I think I will stop checking her too unless she gets super thirsty or peeing alot. Her number after 2 hrs. is 110. So, that is good!

5. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

One suggestion I would like to make at this point... Hold off on giving her a meal that is all carbs, like juice and toast. Depending on the juice, it can have a large amount of sugar, usually 30 grams per serving, or more. Toast is a fast acting carb, too(around 11 carbs). Try to balance things out, push veggies and meats, water down juices. I'm sorry I had to say something, you've been talking about her BGs, but then I'm just mortified at what she's ate before hand(you mentioned pizza last time) and it's no wonder.

6. tymaxtess

Is it really no wonder, though?? Can't normal kids without diabetes eat toast and juice without trouble? She is sick and feels like throwing up, so the only thing she wanted was toast and juice and honestly that is something I wouldn't think twice about feeding my other kids when they are feeling sick--it is usually easy on the tummy. KWIM?

On other occassions we are pretty careful about feeding her "mixed meals" on suggestion of the doctor. She always has veggies, protein, and fat mixed in with her carbs. The day I mentioned pizza--I think just recently, she had one small bite. I hardly think that is alot of carbs and the one thing she did eat well that night was her green beans.

I struggle with this alot. I know that if she does have impending diabetes, I should be very careful about what she eats, but if she is just a kid without diabetes, she should be able to eat pizza without trouble, right? Maybe I am completely off base about this, but a healthy person's bg levels don't usually rise above 140 even with a very high carb meal. Why are her's going over 200?

That is the question I asked of the diabetes team-- could this just be how her pancreas works? Is she just one of those people whose bg goes over 200 routinely after meals without a problem as long as it comes back down? We'll see what they have to say.

7. beckybuckley

beckybuckley Approved members

I've been following your posts and have replied on a few to try to reassure you that with as closely as you are watching her, the chances of her becoming severly ill from complications of diabetes are much lower.

But, for some reason this last thread reminded me of something that happened while Alyssa was in the hospital during diagnosis. I had not slept at all so first thing in the morning my darling hubby went down to the cafe and got me a 32 oz soda, not diet. Of course I downed the thing as quickly as possible -- trying to gain some brain power. During our first class of the day, the RN had me test my own blood sugar so that Id' have an idea of what Alyssa was feeling. My result was 192. She immediately showed concern for me until I shook my empty cup and told her I had just downed that soda. Then she laughed it off and basically said ok, nevermind.

Just something I thought I'd share.

8. tymaxtess

Hmmmm. That is interesting. I wonder if that happens all the time?

9. georgia

georgia Approved members

same thing happened to me as happened to beckybuckley. The 2nd day we were at the hospital and of course, I had no sleep no food for a day and my husband brought an orange juice for me to one of our classes. Of course, ten minutes later we both checked our blood sugar. Mine was 140 and she said that was elevated but then asked if I drank the oj, and so she said that was probably it. Although, I don't think I have checked my blood sugar since, maybe I should!

10. tymaxtess

Her's isn't 10 or 30 minutes later though, it is typically 1-2 hours and then it is over 200 lately. Does that make a difference?

11. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Over 200, no matter what she ate is reason for dx, but it needs to be varrified at the lab. It should show on a oral glucose, or interveinious glucose tollerance test. Being sick can also cause huge spikes.

Diabetes or not ~ people can eat pizza. Juice is a bit tricky, but that is because it wears off long before the insulin. Children SHOULD NOT go on a diet, and restrict carbs because of diabetes, UNLESS it is the advise of a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. What you are feeding your child is totally ok. Don't freak over the b/g's because right now she is sick, and she will be a bit insulin resistant. Just watch her, if her symptoms get bad, and lean towards diabetes, then check, and take action if needed. PLEASE DO NOT ATTKINS, YOU LOW CARB DIET YOUR CHILD UNLESS ORDERED BY A DOCTOR. It is not healthy, or recomended by most creditable sources for people with diabetes.

12. tymaxtess

ok-- 1 hr. and 15 min. after lunch-- 285

13. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

I wouldn't give a normal kid pizza, it's nutritionally null and void. Especially with the impending 'fat' police and the fact they can now take your kids away if they do not have healthy habits, or are over weight by a pound. We don't live in a carefree world anymore, and things are quickly spinning out of control further. It's not just about balancing out to make sure she has protein, carbs, and fat, there's more to it than just making sure she has some of each group. Without the correct nutrients, a non-D can have BG flux. There is also another thing to consider altogether - type two, it's becoming increasingly more common in children even without weight problems.

If it's stomach, it could have been due to the BG fluxes, going from one spectrum to another is hell on the body, and she may have been feeling low at 69. Take things into your own hands and change her diet further. Sugar is not forbidden, just cut down, moderation is the key. Find out what size portions are right for her size. It's actually a healthy change for the whole family, and wouldn't hurt to get into the habit now if she is type one or two.

No, I do not recommend Atkins either, just correct portions and such for her size, and different types of carbs. Depending on weight and such.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  14. tymaxtess

She's 4 and underweight--she isn't type 2.

15. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

You are doing all you can...

hi stacy-
    i've read most of your posts but haven't responded before (i just usually read and don't post). however, i just wanted to say i feel for you and you are doing everything you can. i'm not sure i have anything all that helpful to add that others haven't already added. i don't think 69 is cause for concern in a child who is not receiving insulin, but i see why you are worried when it goes from 69 to 285. i don't know how much illness effects BS in a non dx'd person- i know it does raise BS but i don't know how high. like someone else said, i think with as watchful as your are being, if she does develop type 1, you will notice before she gets very sick or is in DKA.
    it seems like you are doing everything the drs are advising and i think the last thing you need is someone saying they are "mortified" by what you are feeding your daughter.
    keep up the good work! i hope you don't end up joining the "club" here, but if you do it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and i know you will get lots of support from others on this forum!
    Jessica

16. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Stacy, you are right. There is no reason to be feeding her a modified diet at this point, if ever... If she's NOT developing type 1 diabetes no amount of juice or pizza is going to make her get it. If she had a weight problem and was considered high risk for type 2 that might be different, but that's obviously not the case.

I don't know if Jen Jen has any children, (I'm guessing not), but her advice is a little harsh and over the top. Please don't beat yourself up about giving toast and juice to a child with an upset tummy, even if she had D this might be the best thing for her during an illness.

Hang in there!:cwds:

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree with Amy, I wouldn't modify her diet, but I would just chart what she is eating, and how it effects her bg's. I don't know how bg's are in a non-d person who is sick, but if she's sick and she wants juice and toast, give it to her. Feed a cold! I think the most important thing is to just get her better.

Hang in there, you are doing everything possible to help your child. Hope she feels better soon.

18. tymaxtess

Thanks everyone. I finally gave her some ibuprofen to bring down the fever. I was trying to just let it run its course, but she was starting to feel pretty rotten. Now, she seems like her old self and is happily running around. I will probably check bg after supper again at 2 hrs. post, but it seems like a pattern is emerging. It goes too high, but then comes back down on its own.

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Stacy,

My heart goes out to you. You are doing more than most people would even know about. I can imagine your stress and worry about this. I just keep hoping that maybe there is some other reason or this is just "normal" for Tessa. You and Tessa have been in my prayers.

I would give any of my kids juice and toast if that's what they could eat when they were sick, diabetes or not.

Last time Liv didn't want to eat anything, I gave her a Shirley Temple to drink. I was thankful to get something into her and have it stay down. When my kids are ill and having a hard time eating anything I worry less about balanced nutrition and more about dehydration.

20. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

As someone said--- juice AND toast ???

Tomato juice or V8, maybe. In small quantity.

But I think you should give up orange juice: it's a recommended HYPO Treatment, and if you're *not* treating a hypo, it still acts just as powerful as if you *were*.

Same for all the citrus and citrus-like fake juices (grapefruit, lemonade, pineapple).