- advertisement -

Tennis

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by Ali, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ali

Ali Approved members

I exercise regularly and always my BS levels drop, I eat to compensate while walking, running, hiking, aerobics classes. However I just started replaying tennis and I am going very high by the end. Really not able to stop and check midway thru a match so do not know when I go high. I wonder if it is an adrnenaline(sp) high and how to compensate. I do wear a CGM but it can not keep up with my changing numbers and so can not use that data. All I can think of to do is try no added carbs, start out at 100 and see where I end up? It looks like I jump around 75 to 100 points in an hour and 15 minutes of actual play. Doubles and active play. Any suggestions?? Thanks. Ali

2. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

You may be going low and rebounding afterwards. Discuss this with your endo and trainers. If not pumping, may be a good reason to consider due to more flexible management during sport. I have to increase basal slightly before wheelchair tennis and check BG hourly. I hope to have a CGM system of my own soon to assist with basal rate adjustments. Doing this, I can end up 1 hour afterwards at 110 much of the time.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thanks Kent T, I do use a pump and typically for any exercise longer than 30 minutes I decrease my basal a bit and eat a bit. I did this with tennis and Skyrocketed. Perhaps a rebound. I will need to just keep working at it I guess. I have been injured so not able to accumulate enough days playing tennis with the CGM to se what the pattern might be. Just surprised because with most exercise, even a 30 minute walk, requires that I eat carbs and rarely run high.:)Ali

4. Jsscthomp

Jsscthomp New Member

Hi Ali!

Hi Ali, I'm a tennis instructor and am also a diabetic. I think there could be a couple of things you might want to consider:
    1. You may be dehydrated! Start drinking water 1.5-2 hours before you play and constantly through out
    2. It could definitely be adrenaline and/or stress. Could be a false high. Do you go low after you dose after play? try giving your BG time to come down on it's own. If after an hour it's still high then bolus
    3. You have plenty of time during change overs! Please check your BG during these change overs! I have a very competitive student who plays in national tennis tournaments and she is diabetic. She checks her BG at least 8x's per match, AT LEAST!
    4. Try eating fruit and more complex carbohydrates instead of bread, cereal, etc
    5. YOUR BLOOD SUGAR SHOULD BE BETWEEN 150-200mg/dl during intense activity. Even non diabetics BG increases during intense activity bc their liver breaks down glycogen into glucose so the body has fuel.
    If your BG increase above this then bolus at 50%

Hope this helps! And as always, please talk to your endo or physician to see if these could work for you!!