- advertisement -

Telling professors/classmates?

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by diamondback688, Jul 30, 2008.

1. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I'm curious. What is everyone's opinion on telling your professors and/or other classmates that you are diabtic? So far, I've only told one professor. Mainly because the class is four mornings a week and starts at 8 AM, and my sugar is always a bit off in the morning. He said he didn't have a problem if I needed to eat in class or whatever.

2. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

I tell all of my professors within the first week of their class. That way if anything should come up and you have to miss class or anything then they will already be informed that you are diabetic. Otherwise they might think you are just skipping. My professors have all been very understanding, and while I'm not one of those people who likes to announce to the world that I am diabetic.. it's nice to have people on your side when you get sick at school and might have to miss class or given extensions on papers. You could even send out a simple e-mail to all of your professors if you don't want to do it in person.

In regard to classmates, I've never felt I had to inform the people sitting around me that I was diabetic. (after all, the professor already knows). But many of my classes include friends so they know about it also. I guess it is your preference as to whether you want to let your classmates know.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  3. diamondback688

I think I would prefer to do it in person. That way, they will actually know who I am and can put a face to a name. If I sent out an e-mail, all they would have is a name. The way my school does it is you don't get the professor's e-mail address until the first class when you are given a sylibus(sp?).

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Yeah, tell them in person. I would try to tell all of them, too-just in case. It does help if they know you have D, especially if you get sick.....but some of them will only allow you to make up work if you are registered with the Disability Services.

As for classmates, it's really none of their business. Friends will find out you have D no matter what, but I don't recommend disclosing such information to your classmates. In college, they are kind of like strangers.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  5. diamondback688

I'm going to a local community college, so I don't think they have a disability service. I could be wrong, I'll have to check their website.

6. moco89

moco89 Approved members

They all have disability resource centers/accommodation centers. They are obligated by federal law to have such resources available to students like me and you. Try using the search engine to find it on the website. Type in "disabilities".

7. diamondback688

I found something on their website under "New Student FAQ's". It says they adhere to the ADA and 504 plans etc. and there is a phone number for me to call. I guess I will give that number a call tomorrow and see what they say. I don't start classes again until the 18th, so I have plenty of time. I just wanted to get it out of the way so I don't have to worry about it.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I tell all of those professors with a no eating policy, and some of the ones who ask us to introuduce ourselves. For the ones with a no eating policy, I also have the office of students with disabilities send an email to the professor. It's not uncommon for me to test or inject right before class starts, or during the halftime if it's a longer class, so most of my classmates and professors can find out that way.
    But I've had a few classes that were only an hour or an hour and a half long, where I didn't need to test right before class (because it followed a meal or something like that), and so I never mentioned it.

9. diamondback688

The three classes I'm taking in August aren't very long. All three are an hour and fifteen minutes each. I have one from 8 AM until 9:15, one from 9:30 until 10:45, and the other from 12:30 until 1:45. All three are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I only have to go to school two days a week.

10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I'm jealous! I am taking 12 hours of.........engineering stuff. That is going to be a ton of work.

11. diamondback688

Sounds like fun. LOL. I'm taking English Comp, Wellness Concepts(should be an easy A) and some beginning algebra class. Yay fun. The only one I'm looking forward to is Wellness Concepts.